Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nibuoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
I am planning to buy a macbook pro within the next year. However, i want to wait until USB 3 comes out. Does anyone have factual evidence or an educated guess? Also, will an important update be coming to the macbook pro that i should wait for?

Thanks

airplaneman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
USA
I am planning to buy a macbook pro within the next year. However, i want to wait until USB 3 comes out. Does anyone have factual evidence or an educated guess? Also, will an important update be coming to the macbook pro that i should wait for?

Thanks

It's too long a wait. Get it when Arrandale arrives. By the time USB3 comes out, your Arrandale notebook will be in need of replacement :).

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Wel if you assume a normal 8 month MBP cycle before the next update, that being February 2010, USB 3 could very well be ready for Apple to add by then. We'll have to see what they do to sort out the CPU and GPU mess out too...

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
considering there are no usb 3 devices, there's no hurry to put usb 3 on the mac.

Or maybe there are no USB3 devices because there are no computers with USB3 yet (except for that one Asus motherboard).

USB2 is outdated, and even FW800 is too slow for the newest hard drives. I'd be perfectly happy with eSATA support in the mean time since it is cheap, proven, and fast. They could even add one of those combo USB/eSATA ports so they don't have to add another port (since Steve might have a heart attack if there was another port).

The higher power limit for USB3 (900mA instead of the current 500mA) will be nice, though it would be better if it was even higher.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
considering there are no usb 3 devices, there's no hurry to put usb 3 on the mac.

That didn't stop 'em with DisplayPort. This "standard" port has the Apple monitors and...? Every monitor I have taken a look at has the D-Sub, DVI and/or HDMI connectors.

As for USB 3, I didn't know it had been certified/finished. I figure Apple will be one of the first manufacturers to put them on computers. It really won't make too much sense until at least you know a stream of devices is being released. So if you hear about WD or Seagate releasing USB 3 HDDs, then expect Apple to move. Well, unless you count Apple's Blu-ray strategy.

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US

Thanks

Why are you asking here? You can find out as much info about it as everyone else on here. Pretty sure google works for you too.

kryptonianjorel

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2009
You'll see USB3.0 the revision after we get Blu-ray support.

In the mean time, it will be referred to as "a bag of hurt" or, Apple will claim that less than 10% of their consumers use USB3.0, that there wasn't a need for it, and they've put a second SD card slot on the MPB

That's because ASUS screwed up another motherboard. The spec wont pick up until Dell or HP start shipping with it, then in a year or so, everybody will ship with USB3.0

naelamer

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2009
4.8Gbps USB3? even Firewire800 wont take the advantage of full speed!! I wont pay anymore for specs that will not be true in practical

revs

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
UK
Well USB3 should be starting to hit the shelves in 2010, so my guess is mid to late 2010.

Apple wont bother adding USB3 until there are products available and consumers are aware of the technology.

Personally the sooner the better, as I want to upgrade when Arrandale is out and would love USB3 (and Blu-Ray), as I keep my machine a few years.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
no one really knows when apple will embrace usb3, so its pointless to ask. It can be 6 months before others do, 6 months after other manufacturers do. Its really like trying to nail jello to a tree. It aint going to happen.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
will 2.0 devices work on 3.0?
Ofcourse... 1.0 and 1.1 devices work on a 2.0 port? :p

I reckon it won't be until at least the refresh in september 2010, as there's really no need for it yet, if they did add it this year, it could however pull a lot of people to their market just because they want the 'next-gen feature'. Guess it's a case of wait and see.

kryptonianjorel

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2009
Ofcourse... 1.0 and 1.1 devices work on a 2.0 port? :p

I reckon it won't be until at least the refresh in september 2010, as there's really no need for it yet, if they did add it this year, it could however pull a lot of people to their market just because they want the 'next-gen feature'. Guess it's a case of wait and see.

Yes, but 3.0 devices wont work on 2.0 hubs.

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
Yes, but 3.0 devices wont work on 2.0 hubs.

Will USB 3.0 devices work with USB 2.0 or 1.x hosts?

Every SuperSpeed device must also support another speed but doesn't have to fully function at that speed. The device can either perform its function at the lower speed or inform the host that the device requires a USB 3.0 host. (The host can then inform the user.) A USB 3.0 Standard-A plug will fit a USB 2.0 Standard-A receptacle.

http://www.lvr.com/usb3faq.htm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.