When will USB 3 come out for macbook pros

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nibuoy, Aug 3, 2009.

1. nibuoy macrumors member

I am planning to buy a macbook pro within the next year. However, i want to wait until USB 3 comes out. Does anyone have factual evidence or an educated guess? Also, will an important update be coming to the macbook pro that i should wait for?

Thanks

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Macbook Pro's should be getting Arrandale by spring-summer next year.

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

4. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

OF COURSE SOMEONE HAD TO PUT THIS!!!

lol, I saw this thread, and I was like, "Im gonna go put tuesday of next week". But of course someone has already done it:p

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I hear it will be one of the features on the powerbook g5

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

considering there are no usb 3 devices, there's no hurry to put usb 3 on the mac.

7. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

It's too long a wait. Get it when Arrandale arrives. By the time USB3 comes out, your Arrandale notebook will be in need of replacement :).

8. Benjic macrumors regular

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Wel if you assume a normal 8 month MBP cycle before the next update, that being February 2010, USB 3 could very well be ready for Apple to add by then. We'll have to see what they do to sort out the CPU and GPU mess out too...

10. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Or maybe there are no USB3 devices because there are no computers with USB3 yet (except for that one Asus motherboard).

USB2 is outdated, and even FW800 is too slow for the newest hard drives. I'd be perfectly happy with eSATA support in the mean time since it is cheap, proven, and fast. They could even add one of those combo USB/eSATA ports so they don't have to add another port (since Steve might have a heart attack if there was another port).

The higher power limit for USB3 (900mA instead of the current 500mA) will be nice, though it would be better if it was even higher.

11. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

win

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That didn't stop 'em with DisplayPort. This "standard" port has the Apple monitors and...? Every monitor I have taken a look at has the D-Sub, DVI and/or HDMI connectors.

As for USB 3, I didn't know it had been certified/finished. I figure Apple will be one of the first manufacturers to put them on computers. It really won't make too much sense until at least you know a stream of devices is being released. So if you hear about WD or Seagate releasing USB 3 HDDs, then expect Apple to move. Well, unless you count Apple's Blu-ray strategy.

13. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Why are you asking here? You can find out as much info about it as everyone else on here. Pretty sure google works for you too.

14. klee1987 macrumors regular

15. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

You'll see USB3.0 the revision after we get Blu-ray support.

In the mean time, it will be referred to as "a bag of hurt" or, Apple will claim that less than 10% of their consumers use USB3.0, that there wasn't a need for it, and they've put a second SD card slot on the MPB

That's because ASUS screwed up another motherboard. The spec wont pick up until Dell or HP start shipping with it, then in a year or so, everybody will ship with USB3.0

16. naelamer macrumors member

4.8Gbps USB3? even Firewire800 wont take the advantage of full speed!! I wont pay anymore for specs that will not be true in practical

17. revs macrumors regular

Well USB3 should be starting to hit the shelves in 2010, so my guess is mid to late 2010.

Apple wont bother adding USB3 until there are products available and consumers are aware of the technology.

Personally the sooner the better, as I want to upgrade when Arrandale is out and would love USB3 (and Blu-Ray), as I keep my machine a few years.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

no one really knows when apple will embrace usb3, so its pointless to ask. It can be 6 months before others do, 6 months after other manufacturers do. Its really like trying to nail jello to a tree. It aint going to happen.

19. Jongewehr macrumors 6502

20. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Ofcourse... 1.0 and 1.1 devices work on a 2.0 port? :p

I reckon it won't be until at least the refresh in september 2010, as there's really no need for it yet, if they did add it this year, it could however pull a lot of people to their market just because they want the 'next-gen feature'. Guess it's a case of wait and see.

21. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Yes, but 3.0 devices wont work on 2.0 hubs.

22. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Will USB 3.0 devices work with USB 2.0 or 1.x hosts?

Every SuperSpeed device must also support another speed but doesn't have to fully function at that speed. The device can either perform its function at the lower speed or inform the host that the device requires a USB 3.0 host. (The host can then inform the user.) A USB 3.0 Standard-A plug will fit a USB 2.0 Standard-A receptacle.

http://www.lvr.com/usb3faq.htm