When will Verizon get the next iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tigress666, Jan 12, 2011.

?

Will Verizon get the new iPhone model when AT&T does or a year from now?

1. When AT&T normally gets it (around June)

16 vote(s)
    59.3%
  2. A year from now

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  3. The iphone 5 will come out for both carriers a year from now

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. tigress666, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

tigress666 macrumors 68040

Edit: Clarifying first answer: First answer should be the normal time AT&T in the past has gotten a new version (around June).

I'm curious what everyone thinks.

Will Apple put Verizon on the same schedule as their normal schedule for iPhone or do you think they will update Verizon's iPhone a year from now?

I don't know but I'm leaning that Verizon will have this model for a year and not get the iphone "5" right when it comes out. Mainly cause it means Apple can get a resurgence of interest in a not so new model middle of the year from people on the other carrier who want the new model so boost their numbers mid cycle. Plus it means they can get a year's worth of sales out of the "new" model they did for Verizon.

I allowed for the third option just cause it is a slight possibility, but honestly I'd be very surprised if they release the iphone 5 for both a year from now. They have to stay current with the other phones and it would mean they would be selling a pretty outdated phone for a while before refreshing.

2. stewart715 macrumors 6502

I'm leaning towards iPhone 5 being released as a 4G device next January. I don't see them releasing iPhone 5 and it NOT being 4G (I don't think anyone does). Maybe they can sneak it out as soon as June, but I doubt it. Besides, AT&T won't be ready for a 4G device this June. If any 4G device is released this June it would be for Verizon (but I still think that's doubtful).

What you could see is a major revamp of iOS this June - maybe with cloud-based iTunes management, etc.

But who knows, they keep tending to surprise us.

3. Reefbone macrumors regular

I'm usually side with the OP on posts like this but this time I'm thinking.. "Really ? Come on.. !" VSW hasn't even started selling iP4 yet. Anything you get is going to be pure speculation. Is any else's speculation better than yours?

Additionally your poll choices are weak. At the very least there should an "other" option

Apple has always released a phone at near about the same time. I think they will either continue this trend with both carriers or each carrier will have a new phone every year but at different times; ATT in Spring/Summer and Verizon in Winter.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It depends on how many people buy iPhone 4s and lock themselves into long-term contracts with no early upgrade. Steve Jobs loves to torment people. If he can get enough people crying they'll get it in June/July just like AT&T and the rest of the world. I think the magic numbers are:

>10 million sales by June = straight away
    5-10 million sales by June = October
    <5 million sales = announced in January just like this year

Never understand how much Steve Jobs wants to hurt you.

5. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

That's why it's speculation. As I said I don't know, but you know sometimes it's fun to see what people think and why they think it (what reasons you think Apple would do one way or the other)?

6. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Apple will follow the same release schedule as all previous iphones with the iPhone 5 coming out to ALL carriers in June/July.

Verzion already knows this and that is why they did a release now so in 4-5 months they will get the iPhone 5 too.

It is simple economics. Right now ATT has a $99 (just lowered to $49) iPhone 3gs a $199 and $299 iPhone 4. Verizon has a $199 and $299 iPhone 4.

Come June when the iPhone 5 is released ATT will have a $99 iPhone 4 a $199 and $299 iPhone 5.

There is no way on earth Verizon will want to have a $199 iPhone 4 and ATT have the same phone for $99. Also there is no way that Verizon will want a $199 iPhone 4 and ATT has a newer iPhone 5 at the same price.

So that is why I would hold off buying an iPhone on Verizon till after the June announcement for the iPhone 5.

7. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

Excellent point.

8. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

You are going to be disappointed.

The 4G standard that the carriers have agreed to is LTE. Right now LTE is only available from Verizon in a few test cities. What T-Mobile calls 4G is WIMAX. T-Mobile says it will be available in 100 cities by the end of 2011. There are over 18,000 cities and towns in the US. AT&T is rolling out HSPA+ (3.5G). All of these are incompatible and all are planning to switch to LTE. Even if all the carriers were ready by June do you really think that they would throw millions of users onto an untested network?

The predictions I've seen say 60% coverage by 2013. Even if 2013 means January or the analysts are very wrong I would be surprised to see a 4G iPhone in 6 months. None of this even deals with the fact that 4G chips are presently large and power hungry (I'm told). This is exactly the reason the first iPhone was 2G.

When Verizon starts showing their 4G map you will know that the network is ready.

9. URFloorMatt macrumors 6502

You have not been paying attention then. Every indication is that the iPhone 5 will not support 4G. 4G is coming no sooner than June 2012. And, despite all the 4G hype, that makes sense given actual 4G availability. It wouldn't be smart for Apple to advertise the next iPhone as 4G if 60-70% of their customers won't experience it for the life of the phone.

I do agree that a major iOS revision is due this June. Time to finally fix the notifications system.

10. Gjeepguy macrumors regular

Feb 2011 - iPhone 4CDMA - Verizon
    June 2011 - iPhone 4S - At&T
    Feb or June 2012 - iPhone 5LTE - Verizon and AT&T

I think At&T will get a revised iPhone 4 in June, call it iPhone 4S. this will look exactly like the Verizon iPhone 4CDMA but with a sim card tray. It will feature small upgrades.

the iPhone 5LTE will come in 2012 on both carriers