When will we be able to keep the watch face on longer?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Vegastraveler, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Vegastraveler macrumors newbie

You know, I love the watch except for one important thing. I need to be able to choose how long I want the clock face to stay visual. I am a nurse and it is frustrating trying to do vital signs and have to keep twisting my wrist to get the face on; five second intervals is not enough time. Plus, when I am working out and using the stop clock, I want to keep the face on during that time frame. On the next upgrade, is there a way to allow the user the opportunity to keep the face on longer even if it means draining the battery quicker. I would rather have the ability chose if I want that feature. When people ask me about buying the watch, I tell them to not buy it until this feature is fixed because it is truly a pain. If it doesn't get fixed soon, then I'm going to have to put the watch in the drawer and not use it anymore. It's a true bummer because I was so excited about the watch.

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Right now I do not think there is a way to increase the time out on the screen. Apple was/is concerned about the battery life and have a feeling that it may stay the same.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Unfortunately, the only way to do it at this time is to keep rotating the crown or place a finger on the edge of the display.

Maybe use the Chronograph face?

I assume this advice is for your fellow physician/nurse friends, as not everyone needs to have the face stay on. Other medical professionals have commented on this dilemma.

4. superliu macrumors member

I am not a nurse but I'd find this useful. My battery is around 50% by end of day, so that's not a problem.

They can easily put some setting under the watch face customize screen. That way each watch face can have it's own interval/stay on time.

5. Gjwilly, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015

Gjwilly macrumors 68030

The new beta adds a Settings choice of keeping the watch face on for 15-seconds or 70-seconds when you tap the screen.
    Doesn't seem to work though.
    I get a 6-second wake on wrist-raise but only a 18-second wake on tap.

6. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

You would think they would just have an option to "stay on" until wrist is lowered option. Sometimes you just raise your wrist to read a text and it shuts off before you finish reading it. The tap option should be a variable option that you set besides just 15 and 70 seconds. If I raise my wrist and it comes as, it should just stay on until I lower. Just a thought.

Not a complaint really, I just suspect this will change over the beta versions.

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Choice would be good. 5, 10, 15 and 20 second choices would be great. 70 seconds is a lot.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

With a battery life of 18 hours, and the power consumption of the display panel, I can see why Apple did what it did. Unless it can put a much better performing battery into the tiny form factor, I don't think we'll see any major shifts by apple with timeout settings.

9. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

10. Aniseedvan macrumors 65816

Having what is essentially a much simpler screen on my other smartwatch, I do wonder if I won't upgrade my gen 1 Apple Watch until it has an always on screen, as it is something I miss (but completely understand with the current battery v screen debate) - I could be being very optimistic about the longevity of this current one for that to happen!

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think it will an adjustment for me, my Fitbit Surge is always on. With that said, I really don't think gen 2, or beyond will have the display always on.

12. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Only way they could have an always on display is to go to some type of LCD mono screen that takes very little power. No way Apple users will put up with that. The Surge's display is large and easy to read, even with out my glasses.

13. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Medical professionals often need 60 seconds plus the few seconds it takes to start and stop the procedure.

And FWIW, I did an un-pair, re-pair, and a restore and now the 70 seconds option is working for me.

14. Bob190 macrumors 6502

I don't get the need for the screen to be on when you are not looking at it? I am fine with the way it works now, and look forward to a few more options for wrist-raise sensitivity and the duration the screen stays on.

I will say, the only time I am frustrated by the screen not staying on is while riding my bike. Sometimes it can be a little tricky to get the screen to come on depending on your hand position ... but really not that big a deal.

15. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

And is it killing your battery life?

16. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

in WatchOS 2.0 Beta 5 they added a feature where the screen can stay on for up to 70 seconds if you touch the display. Will that work for you?

17. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

No. The wrist-raise time-out hasn't changed so it only keep the screen on when you tap the screen.
    I don't do that unless I have a reason to.

18. Iamjhil macrumors newbie

Apple should have the ability to do an "always on" feature, just like the power conserve and if battery does start to get low, i can adjust to the lift wrist/or power conserve. it's annoying to not be able to look down and see what time it is, and not be able to view it at a quick glance.