When Will We Get Some Pro Upgrades Apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jonG, Mar 7, 2008.

1. jonG macrumors member

Come on Apple I am sick of measly revisions and upgrades for the MBP. There have been some good ones but nothing that makes me want to rush out and buy one and i have been waiting for almost a year. I want blu-ray and come on a bigger HDD that is at 7200 RPM, how bout a 300 GB at least for BTO. 2.8 Extreme????And also i would like a magnetic closure a new black aluminum and you would have my money. Is that too mush to ask for the best Pro laptop from apple, who says they are on the cutting edge of technology. Dont get me wrong i love apple products just want some solid upgrades not a .1 processor upgrade. Anyone feel the same.

2. TSE macrumors 68030

Please... what isn't to like in the current MBP? It's graphics card is one of the best, only beaten by the 8800M, which decreases battery life by around 15-20% and generates a lot more heat, and the processor is top of the line. The amount of RAM and Hard Drive space in the models is good too. The design is great, and perfected. What the hell do you want?

3. Tracer macrumors 6502

I personally would like to see the design switch to the new Apple keyboard style.

However, other than getting thinner can you improve on perfection?

Tracer

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Apparently Sony is trying to get Apple interested in BR:

5. jonG thread starter macrumors member

i like the MBP now dont get me wrong i just think its too close to the MB and for alot more money and could use some new significant upgrades that would help professionals who use these comps for their business, like motion and design.

6. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

What new keyboard style? Like the keyboard on the regular MacBook? I've seen some people say they really like the MacBook keyboards and other say they are horrible. I can't see how they can really improve the MBP keyboard much. I've used laptop keyboards from nearly every manufacturer and I've owned a few recent ThinkPad which are renown for their excellent keyboards but my new MBP has the nicest feeling keyboard I've ever used on a laptop. If the MacBook feel totally different and like some of the other brands like the Sony VAIO's or something then that would suck.

7. TSE macrumors 68030

jonG, I see what you mean, but you know why Apple has been growing so much? Not so much by their professional computer models, but from their consumer models. Their MacBooks make up 70% of what notebooks they sell, and are one of the most popular laptops in the world. You know why? Because they aren't as crippled as the iBooks were compared to the PowerBooks back then, and they look great. If Apple were to make MacBooks have a Penryn 1.9 and 2.1 GHZ models, and the MBPs 2.4 and 2.5 GHZ models, would be inefficient in business terms, since it would cost way more money buying different processors and designing them in.

Basically, the MacBooks and MacBook Pros are designed to get more consumers interested, and to keep the people who need the extra power still interested.

8. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

it seems no matter what apple does for some people it's "one more thing" before they'll give up their money. imho some folks will never be happy.

9. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

Well the thing to remember is that Apple offers as much in the MacBook Pro now as any other laptop in it's class that's currently available. The only other upgrade that a few do have is a Blu-Ray drive and I am kinda surprised Apple hasn't installed one in the MBP at this point.

10. Alpinism macrumors regular

The next iteration of MBP will have
    a) esata ports
    b) Blue Ray Burner
    c) HDMI
    d) And Maybe full HD 1980 x 1080 screen on 15" model
    e) Option of mobile Quadro GPU

Apple should design a removable drive bay where it will allow us to swap between the BR Drive and another 2.5" HD. This is noting new, as seen on a lot of Lenovo Thinkpad Laptops. This is indeed crucial for us pro that use Final Cut and Photoshop because, sometimes there is no AC outlet for an external HD.

11. scott9s macrumors member

Here's why no blueray.

hd-dvd only was stopped a few weeks ago. Apple was not about to pick one format when there were two out there that compete with its over-the-air itunes products.

Another reason is battery life and heat. I think you'll see with the next intel processor blue-ray as an option. Prices will come down and apple will be able to put it in.

12. sal macrumors 6502

bluray drives need to come down a bit more in price before apple makes them available for MBP.

13. katejones macrumors regular

katejones

They got more than a .1 cpu upgrade. and technically they dont run faster anyway, just better battery life. Double the vram and almost double hard drive size.

It will be nice to have bluray , but unless your on the 17 inch version or using an external screen is there any point to a bluray that really requires you not to use an external player/burner?

You'll get your machine but not till late 2008/ early 2009

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

15. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

brace yourself.
    you'll probalby wait another year.
    APPLE's heart right now is the iphone.
    not the MBP

16. davinche macrumors regular

davinche

Like someone said the only MBP that could support BR at full resolution is the 17" high resolution. Paying the extra money to get a BR drive and then having to watch movies at 720p would kind of defeat the purpose I think. Plus to get the benefit of 720p over 480p you would have to sit between 8-13 feet from the screen. http://www.carltonbale.com/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/ Battery life would be another concern. I don't think Apple will ever do a removable drive, it just doesn't fit their current lineup of laptops. They don't even allow you to change the hard drive in the MBP without voiding you warranty (even though you can on the MB).