When will we see a 22-24 inch Thunderbolt display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Gator Bob, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Gator Bob macrumors regular

Anyone heard about a 22-24 inch Thunderbolt display coming soon?
    I do not need the big, hot-running 27" TBD and there must be others like me.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Apple currently sells only two new standalone displays. Both are 27 in. Of the iMac, it sells two sizes, 21.5 in. and 27 in. At Apple, it appears that 27 in. is the new 13 in. Thunderbolt is a standard. Any display manufacturer can produce Thunderbolt displays. The probability that Apple will offer a 23" Thunderbolt display is small. Perhaps another manufacturer will step into the breach. That is where you must pin your hopes.

3. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

I am going to go with "never" ...

4. 184550 Guest

I think it's extremely unlikely that Apple would go 'backwards', so to speak.

5. lamboman macrumors 6502

Very unlikely they will introduce smaller displays. Apple's view on the matter is:

• Mac mini: BYODKM - they're presuming that you have your own already.
    • iMac: has a display - if you need more screen real estate, by an iMac 27". If you need more than that, they're presuming you won't need a secondary, smaller display, so you'll buy another 27".
    • Mac Pro - professionals will want large displays anyway, and will either be switching out machines while keeping their current displays; the rest of this is self explanatory.

There is simply no need, and to be honest, I agree with them.

6. MaloCS macrumors regular

Pandora's box has been opened. I want a 21.5 inch retina display.

7. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

When my mini came from factory with thunderbolt, true I did bring my own display(s). I also trusted Apple to at least nourish the market for third party thunderbolt peripherals, including displays of all makes and sizes. If not, then thunderbolt is already dead. I am going to need thunderbolt for my new 4k resolution monitor anyways. Of course it would be silly to make a 4k monitor 24", unless you're going by 'retina' standards. ;)

8. lamboman macrumors 6502

Thunderbolt isn't an Apple technology. It's an Intel technology. You could equally argue that it is Intel's fault for allowing Apple to have exclusivity for their technology. Hopefully things will improve, as Thunderbolt is full of potential. That said, it'll always be more expensive, but you get what you pay for.