Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cubedweller

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
I was just thinking... when friends come over they should be able to stream their iPhone's contents directly through my wireless network to AppleTV. I was thinking just AirTunes at first, but now that I think about it, why not all the content on the phone...?

Seems like a good idea to me... any thoughts?

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
I was thinking about this. It would be excellent! You could just have the iPhone listed as a Source in the AppleTV menu. You wouldn't really have to worry about copyright issues because you're not copying content from the iPhone... just streaming it. It isn't any different than bring my phone AND the component cables and hooking them up to the my friends TV. Technically it is different, but the end result is the same.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
If that was a possibility then I'd probably end up buying a 3G iPhone.

I'm sure once app's are being made in the wild (whether they obey Apple's rules or not) this will become a reality.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
At the same time, I wish they could add an IR port, even right in there with the hold/power button, and then an Apple Remote app to control your AppleTV (or Front Row, HiFi, etc)

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
say bye bye to your phone's battery.

not to mention what happens when you get a call.

Wouldn't have thought it would impact the battery much - would be the same kind of hit as surfing the web.

When you get a call - the phone rings and the music playing fades out, the ringing shouldn't come out the speakers.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Wouldn't have thought it would impact the battery much - would be the same kind of hit as surfing the web.

When you get a call - the phone rings and the music playing fades out, the ringing shouldn't come out the speakers.

constant reading from the drive, as well as streaming will have a negative impact i'd think.

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
I'd rather see remote functionality for controlling my Mac's iTunes (or AppleTV). Something like Remote Buddy, but one that works much better and faster. (Remote Buddy is ok for controlling playback and volume, but forget it for browsing playlists... it's much too slow for my tastes).

and yes, 3rd party apps will doubtless bring us this and many other goodies!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
constant reading from the drive, as well as streaming will have a negative impact i'd think.

Playing music through the headphones requires constant reading from the hard drive - I'm not saying it won't affect the battery performance, but I don't think it would affect it hugely.

Galley

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
I want the exact opposite. I want my iPhone to act like a portable :apple:tv. It should allow me to stream anything from my iTunes library over my LAN. I know there is software available for jailbroken iPhones that will do it.

cubedweller

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
say bye bye to your phone's battery.

not to mention what happens when you get a call.

I highly doubt it. I can browse the net and be listening to music nearly all day long and still only charge my phone every other day or two.. In fact, my guess is that it would be the opposite for for streaming non-audio content. The iPhone would no longer have to render and play the movie as it would be streamed to the AppleTV which would take over all the processing work required for playback.

I don't know though. I still think it would be a great idea. :)

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
I highly doubt it. I can browse the net and be listening to music nearly all day long and still only charge my phone every other day or two.. In fact, my guess is that it would be the opposite for for streaming non-audio content. The iPhone would no longer have to render and play the movie as it would be streamed to the AppleTV which would take over all the processing work required for playback.

I don't know though. I still think it would be a great idea. :)

And you can always just plug it in while it streams. It's not convenient I guess, but it works.

What are the odds someone can make an app to do this? If Apple doesn't I mean

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.