When will we see console quality games?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by skadd, Nov 9, 2012.

1. skadd macrumors regular

2. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

3. skadd thread starter macrumors regular

We'll see :)

Devices like Vita and 3DS are dying out due to the smartphone.

4. donrsd macrumors 6502

donrsd

I just bought my 10 year son a PS Vita.
    Im not too impressed with it.
    The ONLY THING it has better than iPhone/iPad games is the actual controller buttons.

5. DJ.Nickk macrumors regular

DJ.Nickk

Consoles are 7 years old now! Games on the iPad are console quality in terms of textures and robustness. Consoles will always have an edge in terms of processing power games like Halo cannot be played on Mobile device even in the future because of the massive amount of info needing to be process

6. cfcboy macrumors regular

Id not played a IOS for some months until i got my IP5. When i fired up Batman DK and Spiderman I was pretty speechless in regards to the graphics, smoothness and how easy it was to control. :cool:

BC3 was very impressive but slighly difficult to control

If only there was a way to make controls easier then im sure its a winner. How they combat it (add on peripherals etc) i dont know but the IP5 is certainly capable from a spec pov

7. skadd thread starter macrumors regular

I agree. But I think as the time goes by, people will willingly sacrifice buttons for simplicitiy's sake. The majority do not want to carry around two or more devices. iPhone 5 also has a wider screen gives more room for "buttons"

And I'm not talking just about graphics. The production as a whole is very important. Pre-production, story, level design etc are all important on handheld console games, and of course for the bigger consoles.
    Most PS1 and PS2 games are even better than the average iOS game.

8. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

The only real line in the sand is controls.

That said, I think developers have gotten very creative. The graphics are seemingly on par with that of many console games, or at least comparatively are very close given the price of the game and convenience of mobility.

I feel like games like Need For Speed, Infinity Blade, and others are great examples of "Console quality games" on iOS.

9. donrsd macrumors 6502

donrsd

Something like PS2 God Of War just isnt happening on the iPhone.....yet.
    Beat60 has a controller d-pad that plugs into the headphone jack (go to link then videos), but nobody supports it.

Apple needs to make some supporting gaming pad controls (like Beat 60) manditory.
    Until then, I cant take gaming on my iPhone/iPad seriously.

Nowhere close to 'console quality'.
    Put those games in HD & on a 55-60 inch HDTV and then tell me they are console quality :D