When will we see larger SSD's for iMacs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by intz2nu, Jan 20, 2016.

1. intz2nu macrumors 6502

intz2nu

Before I went Mac I was a Windows user (still am) and my primary machines were Sony Vaio's. I used to recall Sony's high end Z series notebooks offering Samsung SSD's that were larger than 4TB at one point in time if memory serves me right. However that was such a HUGE costly costly upgrade for the end consumer that I'm not sure how many (if any) are even out there with those large internal SSD's.

I currently have a Mid 2015 5K Retina iMac that has the 1TB SSD in it and I was curious on what your folks take would be on when and "if" Apple will ever have larger internal SSD's for their mac line up's at some point in time or around when do you folks ever think it will happen? Personally I wouldn't mind a 2TB or 4TB SSD in my iMac (it'd be a dream come true if it was ever to happen). When I seen the little 2TB external SSD that Samsung had at CES this year I began debating if I should pickup a couple of those for "micro" external storage with some SUPER FAST transfer speeds.

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Apple uses very high performance SSD's. Not the standard ones used by most OEMs and Consumers. I think the current model they use is the Samsung SM951 possibly in a custom form factor. These faster drives are only available in smaller capacities than the cheaper and slower units like the Samsung 850 Evo or 850 Pro. Heck the 1TB unit used in the iMac must be custom built for Apple as I'm not finding it anywhere on the open market. Besides eBay which is likely unauthorized.

I can only guess that it is too large to fit in the 21" iMac or they are trying to force those buyers into the 27" iMac. Which is a shame as one of my clients would have payed the exorbitant cost of the 1TB upgrade. But had to settle with 512GB as the 27" was too big for their work area.

The only other SSD with a high capacity which are as fast or faster are those huge and bulky PCI-e slot models. Which are also prohibitively expensive.

So Apple will offer them when Samsung or someone else can build them and Apple releases a new model. At a price Apple can sell it at.

3. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

intz2nu

I remember when Sony offered them as an upgrade how costly it was. Those things were beyond $500 ot $600 I remember them being over $2000 and they actually got higher than the $2K price when you got to like the 6TB size the cost of the upgrade for that internal size SSD would make the top current Mac Pro look cheap honestly and given this was back in like 2005 or 2007 ish? that was a huge bit of money even today it still is.

I'm very curious as to what the price will be for those little external Samsung SSD's will be set at. Personally its the first time I seen something like that, very very nice and micro sized. Would also be quite awesome for use with a large HDTV. Personally my iMac is my everyday vehicle and also serves me very well during entertainment time so I tend to use up a lot of space with a lot of movie downloads. I'm still not so much of a streaming fan maybe in a year or two when things get a bit faster I'll lean a bit more towards streaming but for now I mainly download and store and also sometimes move from iMac to iMac or from iMac to living room TV so super fast transfer speeds would be a total bliss.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Movie files can be stored and run just fine on a usb 2 connected standard hard drive, just attach some storage (USB 3) and store your old movie files there.

Or for easy access by more than one device a NAS is perfect for this use case and to be honest if everything backs up to your NAS speed is just not needed. In other words your use case doesn't require external ssd's in any way shape or form.