When will we see new bands from 3rd party and Apple?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by viachicago22, May 28, 2015.

1. viachicago22 macrumors 6502

viachicago22

When do you think we will start to see an influx of high quality Made for Apple Watch™ bands? And when do you think Apple will release new ones? I know they are still catching up but I'd really love some more sport colors!

2. pjh macrumors regular

pjh

I think apple will focus to establishing good availability of the ones they've already announced before releasing more. They make a nice profit on these bands, but in the long term I suspect it's more in their interest to let the third party market get established and flourish. I expect a drip feed of new designs from Apple, starting in about 6 months. They might even retire unpopular straps to keep the total number of models manageable.

3. macduke Suspended

macduke

Good ones from well-known, quality third parties probably mid to late summer. Apple ones probably at the autumn iPad/Mac event since that event usually needs a little padding anyway. Possibly at the earlier September event. No earlier than that unless they do something simple like a Product Red sports band, which I would be all over!

4. viachicago22 thread starter macrumors 6502

viachicago22

Your answer makes tons of sense, thanks! I too would get the Product Red one on day one! What do you have right now? I've just got the black sport for my SG but thinking of getting white as well.

5. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

They will announce at the September event, or in October, along with new case materials, and then they will go on sale in time for Christmas, probably Black Friday in November. That gives them enough lead time to ensure enough stock for stores -- I doubt they will want a repeat of the launch. Nor do they want to give their competitors too much time to beat them to market.

Among the new watch cases will be anodized gold for the Sport to match a customers gold iPhone, as well as gold clad watches in the $1K-2K range. This gives them enough time to sell out the limited run of Edition gold watches, before the general public has one that looks similar, at the same time offering a new limited run of platinum Editions.

I would also expect they would announce the ability to pair more than one watch with the same phone, thus encouraging people to buy multiple watches to switch out day to day to match outfits and events. Hubby already bought an Watch, and don't know what to get him for Christmas? No problem, get him an affordable gold-clad for dressier occasions, to match his grandfather's gold cufflinks.