When will we see OS 11?

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
It won't be this decade. Maybe in 2011. But really, that's a stab in the dark. I doubt even Apple has a definite plan for it. Why write a brand new OS when the current one is working very well for them at the moment.

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
I only ask because the difference between XP/Vista seems similar to the difference between Tiger/Leopard. Yes Windows considered is a whole new OS. Mac seems to be treating it as an upgrade. I just wonder what makes the difference between a new version and a new OS in Apple's eyes.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Actually OS X is now about 17 years old since it was first released to the retail public by NeXT.

Why would you want a newer OS. :p

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I would imagine that somewhere deep in the caves at Apple that somebody is thinking this far ahead, but it won't be seen for a very long time.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I just wonder what makes the difference between a new version and a new OS in Apple's eyes.
When Apple released OS X they changed the way they number their OS's. OS X in all iterations (10.3, 10.4, etc) run off the same architecture. Therefore, until Apple changes the core architecture the numbering will most certainly remain 10.x

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.