when will we see usb 3.0

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rockos, Sep 27, 2009.

1. rockos macrumors member

i read an article saying apple had there hands on usb 3.0 since june or july. so what is the time frame on getting it to mac pros or imacs and beyond to macbook pros?

sorry if this has been asked before. thanks for the respnoses

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I am just guessing but I would imagine maybe late next year. Apple only updates hardware two or three times a year.

3. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

With Light Peak being many times faster, ready to introduce fall next year and backed by Apple itself, USB 3.0 will have a short and uneventful life.

4. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

If I remember correctly it took Apple a long, long time to adopt USB 2.0. I don't expect to see USB 3.0 in Mac's anytime soon.

5. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

That's partly because USB 2.0 was at the time a competing standard of sorts with Firewire. And Firewire still outperforms it, in all fairness. It wasn't in 's best interests for USB 2.0 to gain traction over firewire and for users who needed the speed of firewire, USB 2.0 was a bum deal.

I would say that this sort of thing won't happen this time around, except that Light Peak was announced, and I don't think anybody outside of  or Intel has a handle on the ramifications of it yet.

Fact: There's more to an emerging standard than specifications. Before release, you have no way of knowing whether or not the hardware will meet or fail to meet specs or expectations. USB 2.0 is theoretically faster than FW 400, but never outperforms it.

6. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I think for the Mac Pro line we won't see it till the 2011 machines are released. So early/mid 2011 is my answer.

7. timb macrumors regular

I'd say the early 2011 refresh of MacBook Pros will see USB3.

8. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I agree.

Light Peak will be huge if they can indeed push it out quick enough. One Light Peak plug, will be utilized for multiple peripherals, where as USB requires one plug per port.

Light Peak, i think will crush USB if this is indeed integrated.