When with iPhone have "whole device" encryption??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cavalier, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Cavalier macrumors newbie

Everyone in my office wants the iPhone, but the IT department claims it cant' do it until Apple provides a software fix, giving "whole device" encyption. Is his a legit excuse? And if so, how long until Apple addresses it, and can it happen in a regular software release, or do we need the next revision?

Here is the note from the IT Dept:

"As many of you know, the launch of Apple's new iPhone 3G is just days away. With the release of this new iPhone, Apple will now support secure corporate e-mail. Although this capability will protect the transmission of e-mail messages, it does not appear that the 3G will support encryption for all data on the phone itself -- a feature known as whole device encryption. As a result, if an iPhone configured for our e-mail system were to be lost, all data on the device (including client and firm confidential information) would be vulnerable, thus subjecting the firm to potential breach disclosure obligations under laws in multiple jurisdictions.

We hope that whole device encryption will become available for iPhones in the future but are not aware of any planned release date. While we see great potential for the iPhone 3G and will continue to actively work to find a security solution for it, for now we will not be able to support the iPhone at the firm."

2. islandtitan macrumors regular

islandtitan

It's my understanding from our IT dept. that the iPhone can be remotely wiped if it is lost or stolen.

Our CEO is wanting all our phones switched to the iPhone because of this.

3. Archie- macrumors regular

If they slip the sim card out that wont help very much, will it.

4. showtime macrumors 6502

How many phones out there can be completely wiped if it's lost or stolen and how does it work?

5. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

Yeah I call BS on this remote wipe ability. Describe how it's done or gt*o.

Also, what phone does "IT" currently approve? To my knowledge there is no consumer phone that supports "full device encryption". So you must not use a phone at your company right now.

edit: apparently BBs can encrypt.

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I'm pretty sure the Blackberry can encrypt all user data, minus the OS.

Edit: Yes, you can. Its called Content Protection.

7. diabolic macrumors 68000

Steve Jobs described the remote wipe in the WWDC keynote.

8. xcrunxc macrumors newbie

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Enterprise_Deployment_Guide.pdf

Perhaps a quick google search would have been quicker then "calling BS" on a well known and documented feature of the iPhone 2.0 firmware.

9. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

I've known about the remtoe wipe facility, but currently I'm a big Blackberry user with content protection on it. Does anyone out there have clarification if the iPhone offers content protection? i.e.: despite the password being there if someone got a memory dump, would it be encrypted or parsable so they could extract the information?

All of Apple's documentation mentions the secure transmission and password lock and remote wipe, but does not clarify on the content protection, but I don't know whether it's there, but they just haven't worded it like Blackberry do, or whether it is infact not there at all, and the password is the only barrier.

It is good to hear it resets the whole device, I originally thought it would just delete the Exchange data, so that bit is better than originally hoped.

Anyone have any clarification on the content protection/encryption though?

Thanks