When X11 works, what does it do/look like?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BlueBelle, Sep 20, 2008.

1. BlueBelle macrumors newbie

After 1 week mucking around trying to fix my X11 installation, it is time to get help. Specifically, if/when my X11 works, what will it look like? When I click on X11.app, what will a working app do? Mine comes up, an icon stays in the dock for 10 secs, then it closes down. In the menu bar, I can see the X11 app for those 10 secs. But if I click on the Terminal, or xman, or xlogo under Applications in the X11 menu bar, nothing happens!

I ask because I need X11 to get my Matlab installation working again. I am desperate because I have Matlab work piling up!

Thanks. Also - any hints on how to get it working again will be gratefully received.

Currently running 10.4.11 on an iMac, with an almost-empty 250 GB HD, 2GB memory.

2. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

well, for me, when i start x11, xterm starts as well. i get an xterm window, and thats it.

have you reinstalled x11 from your startup disk?
    if that doesnt work you can download it from somewhere, im not exactly sure where though. (google it)

if you have an app that needs x11 to run, if you run the app, x11 should start automatically. is that not happening?

3. BlueBelle thread starter macrumors newbie

When I start Matlab, which needs X11: X11 appears in the taskbar, Matlab bounces in the taskbar, then after ~3 secs, Matlab shuts down, 10 secs later, X11 shuts down. Matlab graphics window is never seen.

The xterm window doesn't appear. It used to - but now it doesn't.