When you boil water, do you put hot or cold tap water in the kettle?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, Apr 2, 2008.

?

Hot Cold or whatever...

1. Hot

28 vote(s)
    24.6%
  2. Cold

62 vote(s)
    54.4%
  3. O_o Who cares

24 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I've always put cold, but then I got thinking, why not just put hot water in the kettle it will boil faster. It's almost boiling if I leave the tap on hot.

I always thought that the hot water had contaminants or somethin', but that wouldn't make much sense since it's hot it would kill off some of the bad stuff right? Am I thinking too much again?

2. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

the cold water is somehow more pure I know, maybe because it hasn't been run through the boiler or whatever.

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Hot water tends to pick up more chemicals from the hot water boiler than cold water does, which can give it a funny taste. Hot water would indeed kill off more bacteria, but what you're really tasting are things like copper/lead/whatever is in your pipes.

Having said that, I usually just go straight for hot water, unless it's for making something like tea. For boiling pasta/vegetables, I go the quick route

4. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I don't really care, I just flip the faucet on and fill 'er up.

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

^ What he said.

6. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Cold water. Don't pick up the metal taste from the heater.

Also, we use filtered PUR water when cooking.:cool:

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

that's pretty much what i do as well

8. MaciMac macrumors newbie

MaciMac

I also go for the cold water.

Can't wait until the water is fully warmed up :)

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So is this why directions for making coffee (e.g. the 1 Tbsp / cup instructions on the side of the bag) specifically say to use cold water?

11. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

12. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I always use cold for boiling water and cooking and I always let the tap run for a bit before using the water.

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I generally use cold water because our stove heats water up very fast and I don't want to wait for the hot water to get hot.

14. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

actually at my dads I have an insta-hot, so handy :D

15. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

In older hot water heaters, the heating coils are totally exposed to the water allowing a more "dirtier" final product. I don't think that this is the case with newer furnaces/hot water heaters.

16. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

I always figured that I had a hot water heater running to give me hot water. Why should I use cold water to boil with and use more energy to get it to boiling when I already have hot water at the ready and can save energy on the cooktop because the water is already hot?

17. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Cold water from our RO system - nicely filtered, no crap to worry about. ;)

18. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I can't remember where I saw it, but I recently read in a reputable source -- either the NY Times or Scientific American -- that hot water picks up lead and other heavy metals in the pipes. These can potentially cause serious health problems. So you should boil cold water.

19. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Yup that's in the links that I posted...
    But, this is only really something to worry about if you live in an older home.

20. ChrisA macrumors G4

At least here where I live in California lead and so on has been banned from use in domestic plumbing for years. However houses can be 100 years old (yes even here in Redondo Beach, CA we have 100 year old houses) but the pipes and fixtures in my house are lead free. My water heater is lined with glass andheated with natural gas.

I do use cold water unless by chance the all the cool water is already flushed from the line and hot water is availavle without waiting then I use hot water.

21. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I always use hot water when cooking hot beverages or cupnoodles, and I have never noticed any taste difference. But maybe thats because after I burn myself trying to eat it I can't taste anything anyway :eek: :p

22. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I use filtered tap water which I keep in the fridge. Otherwise, I would just use cold water out of the faucet.

23. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Dang, I wish I could find that article. The claim was that even with modern plumbing systems it's still a problem. Maybe because of the connection from the water heater?

24. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Man...I just don't have the first clue where to find that article.
    Not the first clue.

Link again...I'm pretty sure this is what you're talking about.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2223522_boil-water-faster.html
    ..."And finally, the big question, DOES cold water boil faster than hot water? The answer is no, regardless of the common household urban myth. Occasionally, common sense does prevail. If you think about it, cold water has to BECOME hot water before it becomes boiling water. The thing is, for sink water to become hot water, it has to pass through the water heater, which is less sanitary than your regular plumbing, and if your house is old enough to have lead pipes, running hot water through them will actually extract more poisonous lead than cold. You could always run hot tap water through a Britta filter but... why would you?"

:D No hard feelings. :D