When you buy Apple stuff

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jpdunford, Oct 11, 2012.

1. jpdunford macrumors member

When you buy new Apple stuff is there a chance it will be a refurbished item?

Or is it ALWAYS brand new?

I mean what do they do with all the returns when people get refunds?

Just wondering because people sometimes say they suspect that have a refurbished product not sure if they are just lying.

2. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

New is new, refurb is refurb, if you or anyone else could prove otherwise apple would have a very big problem on their hands

3. jpdunford thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks

Im not saying I have been given a refurb model nothing to prove was just asking :p

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Usually, if they're not trying to be sneaky (and they aren't), refurb models come in brown boxes. Usually.

5. RUGERMAN macrumors regular

If you buy new you get new. But refurb is as good as new and you can save a few $$.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

New is new. Apple never sells refurbs as new.
    Many of them end up as refurb units.

Apple refurbished products are considered by most to be a very good deal, as they're pretty much like buying a new Mac, except for the box.
    • Apple Certified Refurbished Products are only available from the Apple Refurb Store and are not sold by any 3rd party or local Apple stores
    • Educational discounts do not apply to refurb products.
    • Refurb products come with the same warranty as new products, and qualify for AppleCare
    • Refurb products have a changed serial number that identifies them as refurbished
    • Refurb products come with whatever OS version and software they originally shipped with as new
    • Refurb products come with the same items in the box as new products, only the box is a plain one, not the new box.
    • A refurb product could have some cosmetic signs of prior use, but rarely do
    • A refurb Mac may have some cycles on the battery, but not a significant enough amount to affect usable life
    • The refurb store inventory changes frequently, sometimes several times a day, and doesn't have any direct relation to upcoming product releases. What's available in the refurb store is determined by what has been returned to Apple.
    • If you're looking for a particular item, refurb.me can alert you when it becomes available.

7. jpdunford thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I actually considered refurb models

However I have OCD and I don't like the idea that someone else has been using it, not knowing what they have been doing with it, where it has been etc :(

Do Apple clean them etc before they sell the refurb model?

Thanks a lot for all the help by the way.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, they do. There is no difference between a new model and a refurb model, except possible very slight signs of use, and usually they're as pristine as new models. Read the first link in my post to see details about the refurbishment process.

9. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

The boxes for refurbs used to be brown and say Apple Refurbished on the box. Of course that was a Performa, so that says how long ago it was. :eek: More recently, my iPod Classic came in a plain white box. :cool: