Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone Addict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
San Francisco, CA
First of all -- I read the Upgrade Guide. My question isn't on there. I also searched for it. I don't want to annoy anyone with the same kind of post so I did try to search for an answer before asking. Thank you for reading.

Scenario:
Family Plan.
Line 1: Old Nokia Phone with no data plan -- UPGRADE ELIGIBLE
Line 2: iPhone 3GS -- Unlimited Data -- Not Upgrade Eligible

If I go on Apple's website and try to purchase a current 3GS (just to see what will happen on pre-order day) I put in the option of "Replace a phone on my account with a new iPhone." Then I put in the upgrade eligible line's phone # and billing info, and social security. After that it asks me which data plan I want (since that upgrade eligible line doesn't currently have a data plan on it).

What do I do at this point? Do I add a data plan and then call and cancel it after I get the phone?

I realize I will just activate the iPhone 4 on iTunes with the line (Line 2) that I want the iPhone to be on, not the upgrade eligible line which I ordered it on, but Line 2 already has the unlimited data plan from my 3GS and I don't want a data plan on Line 1 (the one used to order the iPhone 4).

So what do I do? Order it, add a data plan and then try to get AT&T to cancel that plan?

THANK YOU! :)

bat95132

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010
First of all -- I read the Upgrade Guide. My question isn't on there. I also searched for it. I don't want to annoy anyone with the same kind of post so I did try to search for an answer before asking. Thank you for reading.

Scenario:
Family Plan.
Line 1: Old Nokia Phone with no data plan -- UPGRADE ELIGIBLE
Line 2: iPhone 3GS -- Unlimited Data -- Not Upgrade Eligible

If I go on Apple's website and try to purchase a current 3GS (just to see what will happen on pre-order day) I put in the option of "Replace a phone on my account with a new iPhone." Then I put in the upgrade eligible line's phone # and billing info, and social security. After that it asks me which data plan I want (since that upgrade eligible line doesn't currently have a data plan on it).

What do I do at this point? Do I add a data plan and then call and cancel it after I get the phone?

I realize I will just activate the iPhone 4 on iTunes with the line (Line 2) that I want the iPhone to be on, not the upgrade eligible line which I ordered it on, but Line 2 already has the unlimited data plan from my 3GS and I don't want a data plan on Line 1 (the one used to order the iPhone 4).

So what do I do? Order it, add a data plan and then try to get AT&T to cancel that plan?

THANK YOU! :)

Choose the $14.99 plan. I would preorder in an ATT store and have them swap it after. The drop data on the new upgraded line with the $15 data plan.

iPhone Addict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
San Francisco, CA
You call up AT&T and have them switch the data plan from the eligible line to your line.

Thank you for your reply. But the problem is that I would not want the new data plan (the limited 200MB or 2 GB options) when I already have the unlimited data plan currently on my 3GS. I want to retain the unlimited data plan on Line 2 (the one on which I'd use the iPhone 4) while keeping Line 1 without any data plan whatsoever.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Yet another thread off to a bad start. The only correct information was on picking any valid data plan for the pre-order.
First, you are doing an Upgrade Swap and you are going to get a new iPhone 4 with a Micro SIM, not the current type of SIM that you have in the existing iPhone or your old Nokia.

Since you are doing an Upgrade Swap, do not use iTunes to activate as it will be expecting to use the phone number that was on the pre-order. If you activate using iTunes you may need another Micro SIM and another SIM.

Check back here on June 24 before you call AT&T Customer Care to do a manual activation and to remove the pre-ordered data plan from the Nokia line.

Do not listen to the advice to call AT&T to switch the data plan. You will end up losing your current Unlimited Data plan!

Dave

iPhone Addict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Yet another thread off to a bad start. The only correct information was on picking any valid data plan for the pre-order.
First, you are doing an Upgrade Swap and you are going to get a new iPhone 4 with a Micro SIM, not the current type of SIM that you have in the existing iPhone or your old Nokia.

Since you are doing an Upgrade Swap, do not use iTunes to activate as it will be expecting to use the phone number that was on the pre-order. If you activate using iTunes you may need another Micro SIM and another SIM.

Check back here on June 24 before you call AT&T Customer Care to do a manual activation and to remove the pre-ordered data plan from the Nokia line.

Do not listen to the advice to call AT&T to switch the data plan. You will end up losing your current Unlimited Data plan!

Dave

Thank you for the advice!

Can someone add this to the Update Guide? There has to be others out there with the same question, even if they haven't realized it yet :p

bat95132

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010

Dave

There only calling AT&T once the swap is done and dropping the $15 data plan from the line they upgrade.. THEY ARE NOT DROPPING THE data from the unlimited line..

Just be safe, pre-order from an AT&T store for store pickup. Get there and once all is said and done have them swap it to the new line. Safe and Done!

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
You call up AT&T and have them switch the data plan from the eligible line to your line.

DO NOT DO THIS!

Dave

^THIS^

Thank you for the advice!

Can someone add this to the Update Guide? There has to be others out there with the same question, even if they haven't realized it yet :p

Which part needs to be added? The part about adding then removing the data from the upgraded line?

Edit: Updated guide. Let me know what you think.

RKilbane20

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
So i preorder from Apple, when I get my phone dont plug it into itunes? Call up ATT and tell them I am doing an upgrade swap and want to activate the phone on another line and have them cancel the data plan i dont want?

robd54

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
So i preorder from Apple, when I get my phone dont plug it into itunes? Call up ATT and tell them I am doing an upgrade swap and want to activate the phone on another line and have them cancel the data plan i dont want?

This is exactly what I"m looking to do as well, only adding a line to my family plan. Appreciate the help!

Laika37

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2010
I went to AT&T today to ask a similar question about an upgrade swap. I'm not eligible on my account, but my girlfriend has a separate AT&T account and is eligible to upgrade. She agreed to buy the iPhone 4 for me, with me giving her my 3GS. I asked the AT&T rep about this, and he said it could be done, but I would lose my unlimited data plan. I told him that's not what I read, and he said that it's true. Should I just follow the guide and order it online then? I really just wanted to go to the store and have them do it all, but I want to keep my unlimited data.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I went to AT&T today to ask a similar question about an upgrade swap. I'm not eligible on my account, but my girlfriend has a separate AT&T account and is eligible to upgrade. She agreed to buy the iPhone 4 for me, with me giving her my 3GS. I asked the AT&T rep about this, and he said it could be done, but I would lose my unlimited data plan. I told him that's not what I read, and he said that it's true. Should I just follow the guide and order it online then? I really just wanted to go to the store and have them do it all, but I want to keep my unlimited data.

I'd say the rep is in control of the computer. If they want to be jerks and yank your plan, they can. It might be something you can fix by calling customer service, but I wouldn't want to go through the hassle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.