When You Exchange Your iPhone, Do You Erase It?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SomeDudeAsking, Feb 18, 2011.

1. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

When you are at the Average Intelligence Condescending Bar to exchange your iPhone for one problem or another, do you erase your phone at the counter? Or, in the past, have you just handed over your entire phone with all your personal data on it?

2. cwubbels macrumors regular

cwubbels

I have done a restore via iTunes before I took my phone in (planned replacement) and a restore via "reset all data & settings" on the phone before as well (not planned replacement). You can never be too careful with personal information & data IMO.

3. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

How long did the "reset all data & settings" take to finish? Also, I don't think the iTunes restore writes over all the phone's memory so some stuff can get left behind if you do a dump of the flash memory.

4. cwubbels macrumors regular

cwubbels

Hmm... Could be. I don't know the details of a restore via iTunes. The reset on the phone took maybe, 5-10mins.

5. svenn macrumors 6502

I have gone in expecting a quick fix on iphone, but they ended up swapping mine for a refurbished unit. I did not erase anything prior, I just went in with my phone as it is normally. The guy at the counter asked if I had backed up recently, then he had me push OK on the final "are you sure?" screen to erase all my stuff. I don't know long it takes, and I don't know if there is any way to cancel that process once it begins, but I left it there and went home with a "new" refurbished phone.

6. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

LMFAO....good one.

7. cootersgarage6, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

Always erase.

Always eared anything that has your information on it. Because anything could happen the phone, it could be lost somewhere, or a employee could get a hold of it, or even just go through it.

8. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

In my experience they've asked me to watch while they reset it and wipe all my info.

9. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

I just had mine exchanged yesterday due to some water damage. Luckily they did the one time free replace. Anyway they did the reset all on the phone, waited till it was completed and showed me it was back to stock with everything erased.

10. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

I took in a white 3GS for replacement due to cracks in the plastic and the Genius replaced it on the spot, now he never allowed me to erase my phone...I'm friends with a famous rapper and there were plenty of pictures of he and I and of him and his GF in my iPhone that were taken with my iPhone camera... weeks later I saw the pictures on the Internet

11. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Same here.

12. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

yup, they even let me hit the reset button myself

13. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I did a restore using one of my computers that doesn't actually have any songs/apps stored in iTunes so that the phone pretty much had the stock configuration.

I deleted the few Text Messages I had received between the time of the restore and visiting the "Average Intelligence Condescending Bar" and they swapped the phone.

They didn't ask or mention my data.

14. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

They restored mine for me in front of me. They have done the same thing when exchanging or swapping out mbps.

15. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Uh huh. :rolleyes:

16. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

I've only had them not have me press the "big red button" once ... that time the guy was just going to take it but I started the wipe before I handed it over.

17. techluvr macrumors regular

No- it gets erased anyway in the refurbishing process.

18. stev3n macrumors 6502

19. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I don't think you want to be this naive with your data. You do know that tech guys enjoy browsing through private files every chance they get, right?

20. jake4ever macrumors regular