When you get a sandy bridge MacBook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Azeworai, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Azeworai macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to buy the next MacBook pro on launch but have a few questions to ask.

1)Is there a way to check if the machine you got is part of the defective batch?

2)Can you return it if they are part of the defective batch? Even when there are no obvious problems?

3) how can we be sure the machine you're buying is not part of the defective batch? Is there somewhere we can check on the box or tech spec?

2. aaps59 macrumors regular

aaps59

1) Most likely no machines will be effected, because the processors would hopefully have been fixed/switched by launch.

2)
    You can return it under 14 days after purchase. Otherwise if there are no issues they wont accept it.

3)
    Redundant.

3. aevelasquez macrumors regular

Intel halted and recalled all shipments with defective chipsets, they caught the bug before the hardware was distributed to Apple. The chance of you still getting one despite all that is literally one in a billion.

4. mdgm macrumors 6502a

We don't even know if any of the MBPs will ship with the defective SATA ports 2-5 or not yet.

5. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Why do people still think the recall had to do with the CPUs themselves? Recall had entirely do to with Cougar Point SATA ports/controllers.

6. Azeworai thread starter macrumors newbie

For returning in 14 days does it mean I can ask the apple geniuses to pop the chasis and point me to the serial number after I pay for my purchase? I remember reading that the fixed batch has a different serial number.

7. laser71 macrumors regular

Nobody knows *IF* any of the MBPs are affected, and if so how they were fixed. Furthermore, certainly nobody knows what serial numbers of the future will indicate if such a repair was done or not.

So just relax until they are announced at the very least

8. CompilerGuy macrumors newbie

I'm not an expert, but I think I heard that none of the MBP laptops use SATA ports other than 0 and 1, so it wouldn't matter either way. Can anyone else verify that?