When you make a username...?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by fivetoadsloth, Sep 12, 2007.

1. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

I have recently noticed many usernames such as "the new member" or "mac newbie" etc.

To everyone when you make you user name how do you choose it, and what assumptions do you make?

It would look quite odd if say Apple Newbie was a number one poster, after they assumed they had a one time question they got hooked. As according to the forum rules you can't have two accounts you can't really switch the perhaps, ill suited name.

So, My question is to everyone when you make a username do you just have a default one, change it every-time, and do you assume you won't be staying long?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

I normally use my name, hehe. However many people do not recognize it is a name instantly because it's in spanish.

4. fivetoadsloth thread starter macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Maybe I wasnt clear, I noticed a lot of usernames that seem to have been made without much for site that the user may stay around. A name like Apple Newbie wouldnt be very suitable for someone with 15,000 posts.

So My question was what people take into account when the make their username, and if they make any assumptions.

5. 66217 Guest

This is the only forum where I post regularly. But whenever I want to suscribe for something (like Nikonians for example), I always use Roco, that way I never forget my username.:)

6. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I typically use the same username everywhere. Makes life easier.

I do wonder as well about some of the forum names, and if they'll eventually be begging a mod to change them.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I know of only very few that have actually been granted a name change.

8. fivetoadsloth thread starter macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Same, my user name is pretty much the same everywere.

As for the change, I was wondering that. As MacNut states I know of very few who got the change, but some of these people seem predestined not to stay here long even if they wanted to.

9. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Whenever I join an online community, I always try and do something timeless...i.e. something that still will make sense forever.

I started using the name iMacZealot on the Apple Discussions in 2004 because the iMac was my favorite Mac, but that isn't true anymore. I thought about requesting a name change, but I don't really care.

This is the only site that I don't use something other than char(the first four letters of my name) and three digits afterwards. Now that I'm taking french, I want to join someplace under the name Monsieur.

10. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I use the same username for everything, makes life easier. Also, only once have I ever come across someone else using it and that was when I tried to make an AIM account. Hardly surprising really.

Also it means I'm recognizable across websites, which I'm not sure is a good thing come to think about it...:rolleyes:

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

My brother made mine for me. I'm not Jewish but I am mad, so I guess he got it half right...

As someone with a couple of posts around the place, I can safely say post count and Apple knowledge do not necessarily correlate.

12. Coprolite macrumors member

What a conundrum

Before, I used the same username for hotmail, yahoo, AIM, etc. However, with the increase of spam recently, I have gotten a little paranoid. I know that it is overkill, but I just don't feel like making it too easy to increase my spam filter load.

When I finally signed up here, there were to many Steve variations, so I felt forced to get creative. I remembered from back in school that the department's intramural team name was the "Flaming Coprolites", so I decided to knick the idea.

13. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

I try to use the same name everywhere. Back when I first started using the internet though I used a number of different names as I tried to come up with some name that I could use everywhere. Somehow ended up with the current name here and have had only one problem with using it, which was AIM, but did find a work around there.

14. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I was a lurker for about a year without signing up but then during the 2004 macworld, I had to sign up just to read the forum and never intended to post so I just randomly picked nj (where I'm from) and mac with NO thought whatsoever.

I like to think of myself as ninja mac, which is much cooler :)

15. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

I guess Mine is quite obvious...:rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, the only things I detest about Microsoft are: the Zune, Windows and Steve Ballmer.

I think that the software for Mac and the Xbox 360 are very good:D

16. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I have a small collection of pseudonyms that I use online. I do, sometimes, use my real name - it really depends what I'm doing.

I tend to come up with a new name every now and then when the situation requires it, then use that name indefinitely elsewhere when appropriate. Here, I'm miniConvert, because it is appropriate and I didn't feel that any of my other names were.

17. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I usually name myself the first thing that comes into my head while registering after I put a spin on it. Sesshi is Japanese for Celsius. The reason why I thought of Celcius is that I happened to be using the Furnacebook Pro when I registered. The spin was to put it into Japanese.

If my brand-new SR MBP's are anything to go by, it's still an absolutely valid name.

18. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

i have lofight wich i find quite stupid, i just choose it because i thought i would just be on macrumors for 5 posts and leave, but i'm liking macrumors so much that i can't stop posting.. and if i could choose i would change my username, but don't worry macrumors i'm not making a other username.

19. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I have been Cybergypsy for many years and forums I Guess its a habit :)

20. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

ravenvii has been with me almost since I first used the internet. I use it pretty much everywhere.

It used to be Raven VII, but because of login annoyances (it's much easier to type ravenvii than Raven VII), it sort of morphed into ravenvii, and stuck ever since.

21. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Been BillyBobBongo (or 3B) for an eternity now.

My name came from when I was a child my elder brother threw me down the stairs. The sounds my head made on the steps and then finally the radiator on the way down were 'Biff', 'Bash' and 'Bong' apparently. A friend named me BifferBasherBongo after that and it stuck. Spent most of my life being called Bongo after that.

Many years later I was at a 'Ho Down' and it got switched to BillyBobBongo for the occasion....and it's never changed back. I accepted my fate and now use it on any interweb and forum site that I sign up to!

22. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

I've used this username on many forums for many years, but when I first started out it was usually my first initial, last name, and three digits.

Since so many more people are on forums now, I've had to switch it up here and there because "jaydub" is a pretty common nickname for Jehovah's Witnesses, and for people with the initials J.W.

23. true777 macrumors 6502a

true777

I use the same username for everything -- name a site and I probably am on it under this username. Makes life a lot easier, both for me and for people trying to reach me. I also always get phone numbers that end in "8783", which spells out "true".

24. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I am still annoyed with myself every day for choosing such an unimaginative user name. :( Even just changing it to tom.b would be a huge improvement. By the way, would that be possible? It would be great if I could do it before I become a 6502. (8 more posts!)

25. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I use a different user-name on every forum I join. If you ever see another Blue Velvet posting on another forum, it ain't me.