When you migrate files where do they go??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jkramb, Jul 3, 2009.

1. jkramb macrumors member

I started to migrate files from my old hard drive, but canceled it part way through. However, afterwords it seems as if there were about 30GB on my hard drive missing, so i think the files are on my computer somewhere. How do i find them to delete them? I checked to see if they just added to my itunes folder etc. but i didn't see any extra files. any ideas?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Check your Macintosh HD for a Previous Systems folder or Users folder.

3. jkramb thread starter macrumors member

no luck, any opther ideas?? the drive had 465GB of free space, I have 120 GB tv shows, 100 GB of video, 22 gb movies and 5gb fotos. there is 150GB free space. there is no way osx is 60GB. somewhere, something is taking up a big chunk of space and i'm not sure how to find it.

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

your post is vague.

"afterwords it seems as if there were about 30GB on my hard drive missing"

which drive, your old drive or the destination drive? if you cancelled the migration, why would you expect all the files to be on your destination drive?

5. jkramb thread starter macrumors member

i didnt expect them all to be on my new drive. i expected the ones that transfered before I cancelled to be on my new drive. that's the problem, they are on my new hard drive, hence the 30gbs missing from my new drive. i don't want them on there though. i want the 30 gbs back. so imi trying to find the ones that did transfer, but i'm not having any luck.

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

check out Omnidisksweeper or Disk Inventory X and use it on the old drive. Either will help you track down large files and see what's missing from the new drive.