When you remove your email account from mail does it also delete stored passwords?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Block, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

I am thinking of giving my friend one of my iPhones and he likes the setup and so doesn't want me to delete any apps/restore the phone.

I have deleted my email and various other accounts on the phone, but was wondering if the password/information was stored somewhere else that I should also delete, or if it would be safe to just give the phone to him as-is?

2. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Delete yr email account, re-add it and you'll be asked to re-enter yr password. If it's stored it's hashed/encypted so I wouldn't be too worried, if you are then just Restore the device, and Restore the layout with SBOrganizer/PKGBackup before handing it over and. Oh yeah, yr friend will have to pay for those apps :p

3. htownmade1984 macrumors regular

+ 1. If you are really worried about your friend accessing your old e mails then I would do what was just suggested here. Although you should be fine.

4. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Being that deleted files, potential passwords, etc can be recovered from the device, I would recommend you perform an Erase All Content and Settings, restore to a stock or pwned 4.1 firmware to ensure none of your old data is accessible and then give to your friend. :)

5. Block thread starter macrumors 6502a

Block

Is there a difference between restoring a phone in DFU Mode, Recovery Mode, and normally?

I remember reading something about one of those not loading the OS at all and thus doing a 100% clean install but cannot remember which.

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

DFU Skip the OS (kind of), load the firmware directly from iboot.

7. Block thread starter macrumors 6502a

Block

So if I do a DFU restore, and then a Erase all Contents and Settings, my phone should be completely pristine? (As in not even 1 byte of data difference from what something fresh from the factory would look like).

8. Block thread starter macrumors 6502a

Block

Did I erase it correctly it took less than 1 minute... I remember that taking ages on my 3GS.

9. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

You should Erase All Content and Settings first, then do a DFU Restore. :)

The EACaS should be quick as all it does actually is wipe out your encryption key for the file systems so no one can read it. The 3GS does it the same way and will be quick as well, the original iPhone and the iPhone3G will take a while as it needs to overwrite the whole file system.

10. Block thread starter macrumors 6502a

Block

It was a 3G, I dunno where that S came from :p

So, I did: First DFU Restore -> Erase All Content and Settings -> Second DFU Restore

Is it pristine now?

On a side note, if your phone ever becomes infected with a virus/malware for whatever reason, would this also be a great way to get rid of it?

11. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Yep, but you added an extra step. You don't need to DFU restore twice, only once after you EACaS. :)

If you set up as new afterwards, yes, there should be no trace of anything later on. If you restore a backup from iTunes however, a crafty person could have backed their malicious code up and it would be put back on your iPhone.