When you sell/give your iPhone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FSUSem1noles, Jul 1, 2008.

1. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Hello and good afternoon,

I just have a quick question, when you sell or give your 1st generation iPhone to someone, is there a specific way to do it so that you maintain your upgrade eligiblity?

My wife and I are on a family plan, I'm planning on giving my iPhone to my wife, does she use the sim card I currently have in the iPhone? will she have to get a new sim card from AT&T??

How do I go about giving it to her so I don't lose my upgrade eligibilty??

Any help that can be supplied will greatly be appreciated..

Thanks in advance..

2. Eddie L. macrumors newbie

I'm not sure that I understand your question, but I'll try to help.

First, if your wife wants to keep her current number, then she will need a new SIM card from AT&T for the iPhone. You can get one for free from your local AT&T store. If she uses the current SIM card in the iPhone, she will be using your phone number. The new SIM card will be activated and "coded" for her phone number the next time you sync the iPhone with iTunes after you replace the SIM (it basically goes through an abbreviated activation process similar to the one that you went through when you originally purchased your iPhone).

As for the upgrade, I think it depends on what you are currently wanting to do. If you are wanting to upgrade to an iPhone 3G, I have a feeling that will "restart" your 2 year upgrade period since they are subsidizing the new iPhone 3G.

If you are not upgrading to iPhone 3G, I would check with your local AT&T store and see if you can basically swap phones with your wife without losing your upgrade status. That is, your wife gets your iPhone (with her number moving to the iPhone) and you get her non-iPhone phone (with your number moving there). That way, you would still keep your upgrade status intact.

Also, keep in mind that by giving your wife your iPhone, you will not restart your wife's upgrade status. So even if you upgrade to an iPhone 3G (and restart your upgrade status), your wife's upgrade status will be unaffected by the fact that you gave her your 1st gen iPhone.

Hope this helps!

3. tritonj macrumors 6502a

if you bought a 1st gen iPhone and then signed up for a 2 year with ATT with it, you are eligible, doesn't matter what happened to the iPhone after that. you could have thrown it into the ocean and you can still get a new one subsidized

you situation is a little unique because you want to combine the old individual plan into a family plan, which they may not allow, since the contract is still active. may want to call them about that part of it, but you are for sure eligible for a subsidized iPhone