When you strip a screw..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbyun04, Aug 2, 2011.

1. jbyun04, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

My Nimitz Caddy arrived today so I was pumped to install my 750GB back in alongside my 120GB SSD.. Unfortunately when I got to the stage where you have to undo the screws securing that damn Superdrive in place, the screwhead stripped.. I went out and bought new #00 when I thought it was still okay and now it's completely mangled..

I did a search and found people with the same problem, my question is.. where do you find a screw to replace the ones that are stripped?

And has anybody used iFixIt's Extractor kit with success?

I'm trying to figure out the best solution here.. I can't go back from using SSD because it's so damn good but I also need my 750GB. It looks like the other two screws near the slot are in there good as well and my #00 that I bought doesn't seem to play nice with it so I don't want to risk stripping those either.

Any suggestions?

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

They're Torx screws on my 2011 model, and a #00 is a philips head. Make sure you're using the right screwdriver.

Have you gotten it out yet? If so, and it really is stripped, just skip it and install the other two.

3. jbyun04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

Install which other two?

I've got a 2009 and they're definitely not Torx screws. I was following iFixIt's guide and the only required driver was a #00.

I've given up at the moment and reconnected all my bluetooth and superdrive bits until I can find a solution.

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

He means to take the other two screws out that are still holding the SuperDrive in place and then use those two to install the caddy. I'm pretty sure you can order those screws from ifixit but not positive.

5. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

Can't you walk in to any Apple store and get these for free?

6. Surfing@Blacks macrumors regular

I lost a screw and went in and got a replacement for free.

7. jbyun04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

Feeling paranoid with how fragile the bluetooth connectors are.. I'm thinking about just paying the $50 to get it removed from Mac Station.. I figure it's cheaper to have someone with the proper tools to handle it than it is for me to go in to try and DIY and screw something else up.

8. jbyun04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

Well I guess this shows you the power of good tools.

I decided to give it another go with the rubber band trick in mind.
    Mind you the trick itself didn't work but putting enough force into the stripped screws with my new #00 driver worked wonders.

One screw whose head was completely unrecognizable easily came out with enough force.

Good thing is, I looked in the Nimitz package again and saw some screws so I managed to use those.

9. BenLeong macrumors member

I have a 2011 but I definitely have Philips screws, not Torx.