When you Travel; What do you bring?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TechieJustin, Feb 20, 2010.

1. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

I have a friend who is traveling the world. He's skipping across continents like no other!
    His laptop decided to take a dump - see attached picture. I told him how to fix it (hopefully) but it required booting from the Windows CD.

My question is, do you bring your OS reinstall DVDs with you when you travel?
    I copied my Snow Leopard DVD along with Office 2008 and the 10.6.2 update on a CD.
    Does that make sense?

Attached Files:

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

When I travel, if it's for a short duration, I bring my laptop, the power adapter including the extension cord, screen cleaning wipes, and an ethernet cable. If it's for a longer period of time, I take a backup copy of any and all install media for the laptop, along with an external hard drive with a Time Machine backup of my data, and mini-USB and FireWire 800 cables in addition to the materials brought along on shorter trips.

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

4. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I always take with me either a WD Passport drive that has my Time Machine backup on it or the one with the SuperDuper! backup. Can't be without a backup (not since I was on a business trip in Ireland and my HD needed to be replaced). :)

Sometimes we have to learn the hard way.

5. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

Wow, never got it in my mind to take along some sort of restoring disk with me, but I only make one trip a year and that's down the Oregon coast for like a small weekend.

So I never really consider I need to bring it, maybe i should consider it, just in case.

6. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Never had OS X crash on me when travelling, but you've put the notion in my mind.. will probably take the install CD with me when I'm off next.

7. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

For better or worse, I end up traveling for work across the US by plane pretty much every week, usually each time to a different city.

As for my laptop bag, I bring my MacBook Pro. I also bring my iPhone and my external iPhone battery charger in case I run low on planes from playing too many games. I have a "Built NY" cargo case that i keep my power adaptor, Logitech Triple.Fi earphones, MovieWedge, iPhone charger, and 32GB flash drive. I have a black notebook and a book (whatever i'm reading at the time) in the bag as well. In the side pocket, I keep a clear plastic envelope for receipts and one pen. I have a small pouch with business cards and my VGA adaptor for my macbook for presentations.

And that's it :D.

8. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

I also travell a lot... I learned that if you're travelling for less than a month dont get ridiculous, usually first time travellers take 100 accesories, with a MBP I'd just take the power cable a sleeve and q mouse, if you have a MB Air also get a A USB hub, maybe a backup of your important stuff on my 32 gig USB stick, if your OSX copy breaksdown just take it to apple instead of caarying 5 kg of stuff, I like to go light with my handluggage

9. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

When travelling my laptop is with me, but I have to admit rarely are the DVDs. I mean if it's for a few days, even if it crashes, it does not really matter...

10. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Boot discs on a USB stick is a useful way to go. Or having it on a small USB powered hard drive.

11. bigaudiofanatic macrumors regular

I went to california a little less than a year ago. Took my powerbook and the charger and my clothers. That was it.

Now that I have a new one and quite a few externals, I will probably bring it and one mini external and my thumb drive in case I have to fix anyone's pc while out. Hey you never know :rolleyes:

12. bigaudiofanatic macrumors regular

Just keep in mind that not all computers can boot from usb. Most of the newer ones can though.

13. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Just a MBP and my iPhone. Sometimes a bluetooth mouse. I would perhaps do the USB restore thing, but since its just for vacations and not business, its not a big deal.