When you upgrade, do you increase the value of your macbook in the same amount?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by theLemur, Oct 2, 2011.

1. theLemur macrumors regular

When you upgrade a macbook, or I suppose any laptop, mainly Ram or HDD, do you find that it increases the value of your laptop in the same amount that you spent, less, or even more?

I have a bunch of laptops I bought at an auction, and I'm wondering if it's cost effective to put the max ram and a huge HDD in. (they have no HDD's now)

What have your experiences been?

2. Gizmo22 macrumors regular

Gizmo22

That depends entirely on what you spend for the parts to upgrade them. Additionally, you need to think about what you will do with the parts that get replaced...no one likes having 30 512mb sticks of memory laying around, but I personally find it difficult to throw anything of value away [albeit a very small value].

I do believe it is best to consider this a law of diminishing returns. If they have a 80GB HDD, yes you could fetch more money by putting a 320GB or so in. I highly doubt you will get all your money returned if you install some enormous, right off the shelf HDD.

3. theLemur thread starter macrumors regular

Oh I should clarify, I always buy the cheapest thing on ebay that will work reliably. Like, a lot of these laptops I bought originally had 80gb drives, so similar models on ebay usually have between 80gb - 120gb. I'm wondering if I put 500gb drives in, if I would get my money back plus some.

4. Gizmo22 macrumors regular

Gizmo22

Doubtful, but again, that depends how much you're buying the new drives for.