When you will you ditch desktop towers?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Chaos123x, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

When will you start using a laptop instead of a Mac Pro as your main machine?

I am looking forward to the day that a laptop will equal the power of the current Mac Pros, I will still have a huge 23 or 30 inch screen setup at home, but it would be nice to use the same computer on the go as the one I do when I get home.

I am looking forward to a 3ghz quad core Nehalem laptop some day next year and I will unchain myself from the desktop for good.

What about you what's your magical specs that would get you using a notebook exclusively?

Or do you always need the very best and most powerful machine even if it means sticking with the tower desktop indefinitely?

I do most of work in Final Cut Studio and sure current macbook pros can handle FCP (I can run the newest version on my powerbook g4) but rendering and encoding still take to long. I think when we hit that 3ghz quad core thats the sweet spot for me and I will say bye bye to the old desktop.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I'd like a desktop since they last longer. You don't really have to worry about dropping them, or the battery dying. And you can replace bits and parts, unlike a laptop where you'll usually have to replace the whole machine.

3. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I don't think i ever will. Like tuffluffjimmy said, I agree, I like my mac pro desktop because it's the rock solid foundation of my work setup.

I still need a notebook, but I wouldn't want everything to be on it.

4. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

When I can run three internal HDDs on a laptop.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

But I like my multiple hard drives, full sized optical drives, and blazing inferno video cards...

6. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

No computer is ever too fast or powerful enough for video and effects work. We need all we can get. That said, I'll never be able to ditch a desktop machine. Top of the line desktops will ALWAYS be more powerful than their current top of the line laptop counterparts. Not to mention the whole expandability thing...

7. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

i would never ditch a high-powered desktop for high demanding processes like video editing and sound editing most especially HD rendered things.
    i woudl only use a laptop for protable on the go image editing, pictures, email, movie viewing and music. no hardcore stuff. leave it all to the bad boy sitting on your desk! :p

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

Unless they can add 8 drive RAID 5 + 2 OS drives, upgradeable graphics...that can be repaired without having to buy a new one, I'd never even consider it. :p

9. grue macrumors 65816

No time in the foreseeable future. I need something small for my portable with a matte screen, which rules out every single portable Apple makes. I don't give a damn how powerful it is.

Two proper machines is far better for me than one mediocre crossover.

10. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

I think you will be waiting forever for the day that a notebook will compare to a desktop, assuming "current gen notebooks" vs. "current gen desktops" not "current gen notebooks" vs. "previous gen desktops".

With that said I'm thinking that i'll stagger purchases i.e I have a macbook pro, and my next machine will be a nehalem mac pro, then another new notebook which can compare to the power of a mac pro, then the next desktop after that.

11. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Ditch my desktop? Are you freaking mad? .. :eek:

Four internal hard drives, two optical drives, choice of video cards and up to 32 Gb of stonking fast ram. Who would give that up? .. :cool:

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You can never have too much power, nor too many power tools.

13. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Nope - old school and proud of it.. It wouldnt feel right not having a huge silvery box humming under the desk, and besides;where would I put my feet to keep warm in winter if not beside the Mac pro?

I neeeeeeeed to have a thing like that around - oodles of hdd's, big Ram and so fourth.

I appreciate that for many users a roadwarrior style laptop is ok, it just doesnt 'do it' for me :)

Long live the desktop

14. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

1) When laptops support dual external screens (not USB...)
    2) When they have over 1Tb of HDD space internally
    3) When laptops have quad-core or greater, fast, CPUs

For me, my Mac Pro fills the power end of things. However, as I no longer do much video editing I can actually potentially see a move to a laptop only. However, I can't work without dual desktop screens, which simply isn't feasible on a laptop. I need plenty of HDD space, but 1Tb is generally fine as long as I can use externals.

15. sebassttiann macrumors newbie

depends,

for the office and official work(making money with video production) its desktop all day. but for home websurfing and email writing i dont want to sit at a desk i do that 10 hours a day so a laptop works for me. I did buy a nice laptop though incase i need to do video work from the comfort of my bed. :D

16. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Well, you know what kind of person would give that up? Someone whose never had it before.

And by the way, that's A LOT of people...

17. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

I've been using Apple Laptops for 4 years now and finally got my MP, I LOVE having everything in one place. I got sick of scattering my content across various externals that were getting full, the 1 1/2 display setup of a 20" with my 13" MB... I don't expect to ever have a laptop as my main power computer anymore, I'd prefer to get a lighter notebook like the Air if I need to use a laptop, and I'll probably sell my MB to fund towards one.