Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arnold Rimmer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Why does the phone not cache what you were doing?

I am currently having a family crisis and had to respond to an email from my lawyer.
I was out, and tried to quickly draft the mail on my phone as it was my only access.

All went well, until i got to the last paragraph of the email and my phone switched off due to a flat battery!

So i plugged it in asap and thought i could continue where i left off... Boy was i wrong! but to add insult to injury, the phone turned on, opened my email that i was/had been writing, then disappeared and went back to a blank page on the email i was replying to...

Anyone know why it does this or a way in which i can get it so auto save drafts just as Gmail does.. or remember what i was writing prior to just switching off (when it said it had 10% battery!)

I am using iOS 4.0.1 and Gmail ...

Thanks in advance...

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Unfortunately the Gmail on your iPhone doesn't work the same way as it does on your laptop/computer. There is no auto-save feature (at least not that I'm aware of) on the iPhone when composing emails. Normally, if you're composing an email and (for whatever reason) the app crashes, usually it'll remember what it was doing last and leave it there once you restart the app. Since your battery died, I'm guessing whatever cache there was also got wiped out when the phone shut off. You can save email drafts in Gmail on your iPhone but you have to manually do it. Then it'll save the draft email and you can resume either on your iPhone or on the web. Some of the mail apps that are available out there might have some sort of auto save feature built in but I don't know off hand.

emuneee

macrumors member
May 20, 2010
I believe gmail will only save drafts if you are in a native gmail application such as what is found on android devices or the web client. Outside of that, saving drafts is the responsibility of the client you are using....which I'm assuming is the iOS email client. The iOS client may or may not support this or if it does, the draft was saved before the device powered off.

Arnold Rimmer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
thanks for the heads up...

Totally gutted though, i missed the dead line and therefore have delayed the process.
Its not the end of the world but it is the first time i have ever REALLY NEEDED my iphone and i thought it would save me, Never mind at least i know now.

Thanks guys...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.