Whenever I download apps from the Internet...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by smeind, Sep 3, 2009.

1. smeind macrumors member

Hmm.. So, I got my first Mac today, but, I have used them several times before.

So, I get it, and I want to download some stuff (Firefox, VLC, Control Tunes, Fliqio)

Ok, So I download them.. but, now when I open up the program.. It shows that it opens up in a external drive or something? I white icon pops up that says what program I'm using, and when I finish, I have to eject it? Kinda like with a thumb drive.. But It's making me do this for VLC, Firefox, and Control tunes..

Is this normal? How do I get it to stop doing that?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

[embedguide]Installing_Applications_in_Mac_OS_X[/embedguide]

3. smeind thread starter macrumors member

Ok.. I dragged that file location into the applications folder.. and it still pops up.

Am I doing something wrong?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Your Dock icon isn't pointing to the application in /Applications. Remove it and drag the icon from /Applications in.

5. smeind thread starter macrumors member

Wow.. Thanks!

It's sooo easy! Since I was coming from a PC, I was sorta expecting a complicated ordeal, but wow.. soooo easy!

6. akm3 macrumors 68020

You'll be experiencing a lot of those moments, thinking something isn't working because it has already worked :) I did.

Printers got me, I plugged it in and...nothing happened. It was already installed and working, but OS X didn't bother to tell me, I wasn't expecting that.

OS X only tells you when something fails, because it's a surprise.
    Windows tells you when something works.......because it's a surprise.