Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I've been having this problem (see picture) on many different MacBooks on Mavericks and Yosemite. It's annoying when you wake the computer up from sleep and all you get is just the mouse cursor; you have to wait for the rest of the screen to come back 15-30 seconds later.

Attachments

• IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 160

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Yep, feedback given awhile ago (since it's been going on since Mavericks)

----------

Do you just put it to sleep by closing the lid?

No. It generally happens just after the computer has fall asleep on its own with the lid open. I'll click a key to wake it back up & that's what I get.

entwined82

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2013
I've had this happen twice ever, it doesn't seem to be a regular thing for me. How often do you get this?

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Quite frequently.

I have a personal MacBook Pro retina that I bought in June. Still has 10.9.4 on it. It does it on that.

I have a work MacBook Pro retina that I got last November. It has 10.10 on it. Does it on that.

I also have at work a current generation 11" MacBook Air; it had Mavericks on it. Did it on that. Erased and installed the Developer Previews and I watched it happen on it as well.

It seems like it happens as soon as the computer goes to sleep & I'm doing something so I wake it back up. That's when it gets stuck like that.

theBostonian

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Quite frequently.

I have a personal MacBook Pro retina that I bought in June. Still has 10.9.4 on it. It does it on that.

I have a work MacBook Pro retina that I got last November. It has 10.10 on it. Does it on that.

I also have at work a current generation 11" MacBook Air; it had Mavericks on it. Did it on that. Erased and installed the Developer Previews and I watched it happen on it as well.

It seems like it happens as soon as the computer goes to sleep & I'm doing something so I wake it back up. That's when it gets stuck like that.

Is there any unique or proprietary software that you use on all of these machines?

I upgraded my 2012 MBP to Yosemite and had upgraded it from ML and Mavericks but I've never had this issue, either with my mechanical drive or the SSD I installed recently.

sandylp

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
I've been having this problem (see picture) on many different MacBooks on Mavericks and Yosemite. It's annoying when you wake the computer up from sleep and all you get is just the mouse cursor; you have to wait for the rest of the screen to come back 15-30 seconds later.

I have a RMBP that I bought in 10/13 and have the same issue every once in awhile. I've just learned to wait the 15-30 seconds. Although I've tried to adjust the pmset settings in terminal, nothing seemed to help. I don't just shut the lid, but sleep it quite regularly during the day and every night, and the "slow to wake" issue has occurred less and less, but still happens occasionally. Hopefully, this last update of Yosemite will help. I don't have any proprietary software except Adobe Creative Cloud and Flash and Nik, and the slow to wake also occurred before I installed that software.

Last edited:

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Is it going to this screen after a certain amount of time of non-use (say an hour or so?)

No, I'll be using the computer then pause for a minute (answer a call, talk to a co-worker, whatever)...and I'll see my screen go to sleep. I'll wake it back up. And that's when this usually happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.