Whens the best time to charge your battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gc15, Oct 30, 2013.

1. gc15 macrumors regular

I have read you should charge it when its around 30-40 percent and then let it charge until around 80-85. Then after you do that a while, you should do a full charge to keep the electrons moving in the battery. So what is the best way to make sure you get the most out of your battery to keep it healthy and what do you do guys do?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. Quattro7 macrumors member

Quattro7

I don't know what the best method is, but I let it drain so far as possibly (preferably less than 5%) and then I charge till it's full. Because a battery will hold less charge after more charge cycles, I think it's only to charge when really necessary.

Edit: I posted this before GGJstudios' message, so I will read the FAQ also :p.

4. Retops macrumors regular

With modern batteries, don't worry about it. Charge when you find it convenient and just use the machine. Your battery wil do fine.

5. Quattro7 macrumors member

Quattro7

Thanks for your FAQ GGJstudios! I found it really useful, and it makes life a bit easier for charging :cool:.

6. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

On both of my MacBook Pros I've used the battery during the day and charged it overnight. This worked pretty well on my mid-2009 until the battery started not being able to last through a full day of classes. Then I would charge it whenever I needed to. At 4 1/2 years old it's at about 400 cycles and 74% capacity.

My new rMBP will be interesting because of how much capacity it has. It's way more than I need to get through one day.

7. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

my 2012 rmbp gives me almost a full day's work , i end up plugging it in around 330pm , then full charging over night.

im sure the new 2013 would have no trouble providing me a full day's work.