When's the best time to purchase Applecare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nein, Aug 6, 2008.

1. nein macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm just waiting (like everyone else) for the new MBP's to be released (whenever that may be). However, I did have a question regarding Applecare.

It says that Applecare can be purchased before the one year is up, now to me, it would make more sense to wait until your year is almost up and then purchase your Applecare. Giving you four years total of Applecare (as opposed to purchasing it immediatley when you buy the product and only getting three)

Now to me this idea seems way too simple for Apple not to have noticed and set some restrictions on this, but I am just curious to see if this is in fact, a doable thing and there are no real downsides to it.

Thanks,
    James

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

AppleCare must be purchased within the first year and extends the warranty 3 years from the date of the purchase of the Mac, not 3 years from when you purchased the AppleCare.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Exactly. I waited until the week before the 1st year was up, as I was short on money. Whenever you feel like getting it, get it.

TEG

4. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

so the first year is free and you are paying really for 2 years?

5. chosenwolf macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

That's essentially what you are getting with Applecare.

6. nein thread starter macrumors newbie

I see, thanks for clearing that all up. So you can get it whenever you please.

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Actually, the included coverage only includes 90 days of phone support (for almost anything), and one year of hardware coverage. Getting AppleCare, extends that phone support and hardware coverage to 3 years from date of purchase.

TEG

8. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Essentially you are paying the same amount (even if you buy it via a 3rd party) whether you buy it immediately or wait until just before the 1st year is up.

If you wait, you are sacrificing 9 months of telephone support though. The basic warranty covers hardware for 1 year and telephone support for 3 months.

If you can afford it now, why wait and sacrifice the 9 months of phone support?

9. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

I think wait till almost your standard one year warranty is almost up.

10. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

11. mynameisshawn macrumors member

It is the best time, until something goes wrong

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Because why call support when you can go the Genius bar? ;)

13. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Because for some of us it is expensive to go to an Apple Store, or there aren't any nearby.

TEG

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well… I didn't think of that-- I have 4 stores within 45 min.

15. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I have 3 within an hour, but it still will cost about $30 round trip to go to the store, each time.

TEG

16. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hello,
    I'm living in Gremany but I will buy the MBP in France via the online shop cos I want to have the FR keyboard layout. Once I have my MBP and if I have a trouble with it (hw issue) , is it possible to go to an Apple Store here in Berlin or will I have to send it via mail to France ?

Thanks,
    Tex

17. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

In my particular situation, no car. =/

18. AGIPSY macrumors regular

I would think you could take it to the store in Berlin, yeah. They should be able to figure it out...

19. godfreyhk macrumors member

Apple's warranty for portables are supposed to be international I think.

20. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Apple care is good to purchase any time you have the fund before the 1 year is up.

I bought apple care with my mac pro + 23" acd purchase and I'm going to register it after 2 weeks.

21. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Best place to buy Applecare is eBay. I got MBP Applecare for $199.

22. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Here's one thought. IF you have your laptop stolen, or if you drop it, or if you get water in it, your Applecare is void, and you have wasted the money.

Assuming that you don't need the phone support, then you might delay paying for Applecare until the last week of the year to see if the machine survives -- so that if any of the above happen. you haven't wasted the money.

Just remember that Applecare must be purchased AND REGISTERED ONLINE against your machine's serial number before day 366. Also, if you have never registered your machine purchase, Apple estimates the purchase date to be when they made the machine, so your AC eligibility period may end sooner than you think.