When's the next refresh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dave65, Apr 13, 2010.

1. dave65 macrumors newbie

The new update looks like a minor spec bump just to keep up with other manufacturers. Are we likely to see further updates say before September (or any other guess as to when)?

I seriously want a new Mac and have been waiting since before Christmas but see this as a purchase for the next 3-4 years. I can wait a few more months if necessary.

honest question - not trying to flame :)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That didn't take long :p

Well, possibly in Oct/Nov but NOBODY knows it. No new components until Q1 2011 so I guess we'll have to wait till that

5. BigHops323 macrumors newbie

6. robivy64 macrumors member

Today.

Check the store.

EDIT: Oh you mean the NEXT update. I'll take this one for now.

7. dave65 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, I may just go ahead and get one, fall is sounding too long.

Didn't notice the bit about the new graphics switching technology either that Hellhammer pointed out. That may just swing it for me.

Off to the store at the weekend then. Hope they've got them in.

8. FnuGk macrumors regular

what about wwdc in june ? maybe they will get their act together with the 13"

9. enberg macrumors regular

An update after only 2 months? Not a chance in hell.

10. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I was really wondering when it would start, though I knew it would be as soon as we saw the new MBP's on Apple's web site. :)

11. Perplexe macrumors newbie

Well it already happened... 3 months after powerbook G4 they got the first MBP out... (At least i think)

12. breathesrain macrumors regular

I would guess that there's a tiny chance they fiddle with the prices (early adopter tax and all that) , and an even smaller chance the 13" gets a bump. If the reason it doesn't have an ix processor is due to physical constraints rather than economic theories....maybe we'll see something good.

13. bkap16 macrumors member

It's due to Intel's pissing match with Nvidia. The GMA 4500HD is on the chip for the ix processors and not on the motherboard. That, combined with the fact that Intel won't let Nvidia make graphics cards for the new processors means that Apple had to decide between Core 2 Duo + good graphics or take a step backwards graphics wise (back to the GMA 4500HD they got rid of in 2008) to get the Core i processors in there.

14. Yixian macrumors 65816

What are the chances of seeing a better GPU in the October MBP refresh? Do Apple ever update a GPU the refresh after they've changed it?

The 330M GT is really really pathetic and I just can't bring myself to upgrade now, I was disappointed that my 9600M GT couldn't play current games very well even when I first bought it, and the 330M GT barely performs any better in the benchmarks I've seen.

15. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

That was only because of the transition to intel. Not going to happen again.

It's amusing how many people still hope or believe that an update will come in 2 months, after this update came after 9 months.

Come on people. Please be realistic.

16. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

I have never seen a GPU change without a new major refresh. The i7+330 is probably as good as it'll be for quite a while.

I haven't seen a lot of detailed benchmarks comparing the 330M to the 9600M, so I don't know what to expect. I'm sorta concerned -- but since I have an 8600M now, it'll probably be at least some better.

17. ewoh24 macrumors regular

When's the Mac Pro coming is what I want to know. That thing is now the WORST deal I've ever seen in my life other than the 30" display being $100 more than a low end 27" iMac!

18. Yixian macrumors 65816

19. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Get their act together? What? Their act was just justified.