When's the time to buy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jw3571, Nov 30, 2010.

1. jw3571 macrumors regular

I'm in the market for a macbook pro. I don't have to have it now, would I be smarter to wait for the update? Is it most people's guess that it will be a small power bump or will the update be bigger than that? I would guess Lion would part of a new one?

2. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

My guess is that there will be an upgrade before Lion, which I believe will be released in Summer 2011. It has been 7 months since their last upgrade, which is about average if I remember correctly. October 2008, January 2009, June 2009, April 2010 (current).

3. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

There are far too many variables & unknowns. This is an impossible question. Not only that, you've not even mentioned what you plan to use it for. This only ads to the confusion. I'm sure you will get lots of opinions. Enjoy the read.

4. Surely Guest

Surely

When's the best time to buy?

When you need it.

5. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Wait, wait, I know this one! April 7, 2010 will be the release date of something really big. somewhere.:rolleyes:

6. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

When your bank allows you to.
    When I say yes.
    When the new world order starts.
    :)

7. jastevenson macrumors newbie

8. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

There has been speculation that the new macbook pros will be released in April 2011 (from the same guys who called the release of the MBA).

Just something to consider. If you need it, get it. I'm in the same boat as you - just trying to convince myself that I need it vs. I need to wait. :)

9. mark28 macrumors 68000

I don't think this upgrade will be big. It will be a Dual Core CPU. I'd say 10%-20% CPU increase. The GT425m is just as fast as the GT330m, but it supports newer Direct X version. So unless Apple goes with ATI, you won't gain alot on GPU terms. ( I don't think Apple will go higher than the GT425m, because Sony went for the GT425m as the successor of the 330m )

The only interesting upgrade is Ivy Bridge which will be standard Quad core CPU's. It's a shrinked version of Sandy Bridge which is 32nm :cool:

If your current computer is fine, then wait. If you need a new computer then buy one now :p

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

11. wct097 macrumors 6502

I'm holding out. One of the most infuriating things about Apple is the fact that they never drop their prices on their aging line of equipment. I'd just feel dumb spending $2k on a Macbook that's been $2k for the last year, only to have an upgraded offering in a month or two.

My Dell will last.... so if I have to wait until April, so be it.

12. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

13. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

There is your answer, it's time to buy when you need it (or if they just updated and you know you will need it soon)

14. Saturdays macrumors member

Saturdays

I would at the least wait until January/February since major announcements are done then.

15. skiltrip macrumors 68030

You'll save a lot of money if you wait until this date.

16. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

April

Yes, it will be a major update. No more optical drive.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

We really don't know if it will be a major update, other then the likelihood of it having Sandy Bridge. Any speculation regarding the optical drive is just that, speculation.

18. Mrs HBF macrumors regular

You're asking for everyone to speculate. That's like asking when the NYSE will reach its new high. (And the market is doing GREAT today)

I agree.

19. CW Jones macrumors 6502

Best time to buy: When you actually NEED it and not just want something new.

20. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

If you don't need it then I would wait. My MacBook is 4 years old but it still works fine so I'm waiting until the Macbook Pro is updated and comes preinstalled with Lion.

21. Mrs HBF macrumors regular

One of the reasons I bought my MBP (and left the PC world at home) was for the longevity of the Macbook. When the new one comes out, if yours is working just fine, why buy a new one? Couldn't you just buy Lion instead since that's your interest? Just curious.

22. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Because I can only go up to 2gb of RAM and when I start running a bunch of programs the fan never goes off and the computer slows down too much. Also there are some steam games I want to play and I can't. Another gripe I have is I want more screen real estate. I can sell my current MacBook and get gift cards for Christmas and my birthday which should give me at least $1,000 towards the purchase. So I won't come out of pocket for the whole purchase. This is certainly a want not a need. My current computer could last another 2 years or so if I needed it to but I am getting frustrated with the slowdowns and the inability to play games I want.

23. ApplFTW macrumors newbie

I think it's been said a few times in this thread, but I'll say it again:

When you need it. You can keep waiting forever until the next hardware update comes out, which is always a few months and more months down the road...