where and when do buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tycheong, Nov 9, 2008.

1. tycheong macrumors member

so im going to get a macbook pro
    i dont need one right away, but i would like something i can carry around opposed to my iMac
    anyways,
    i was wondering about where to buy the macbook pro. sites like macmall have cheaper prices but if the macbook pro ends up having problems, can i still take it to the apple store?
    wat are the pros/cons of buying at sites like macmall. is it just better to buy it at the apple store?
    my friend whos 13 got his top of the line 24 inch iMac for about $1800 along with an ipod touch and a printer at the stanford shopping center.
    educational discount i suppose? anyone else know if the stanford shopping center does this?
    also, do u suppose its better to buy now, or later. if i buy it later, it will be mid january. there probably wont be any hardware updates by then, but what about later on in 2009, because i'd hate to buy a very expensive macbook pro, and then only months later have new hardware.
    wat are the possibilities of snow leopard coming out at mac world 09?
    thanks

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I'm pretty sure you can, especially if you buy Applecare.

I've never bought anything from them, but I've read several posts where people did and had no trouble. I can't remember hearing about any negative reputation on their part.

That's an amazing price. I bought my top of the line 24 inch iMac from the Apple Store online, using the education discount, and spent nearly $2,600 with tax - and didn't get an iPod or printer (although the iPod and printer promotions weren't in effect at the time).

There are never any guarantees, but I will say this - no matter when you buy, something newer WILL come out "months later," if not sooner. Don't let that hold you back from buying unless you really don't need it.

I'm not an insider, but I wouldn't count on it. Again, don't let that make or break your decision on whether to buy.

3. tycheong thread starter macrumors member

thank you Tomorrow

thanks
    but if i buy it from, say, macmall and i DONT buy applecare
    would i be able to go to a applestore if i have problems?

i dont qualify for the educational discount
    but do you guys know of any other little discount?
    does apple have a black friday or christmas sale? if so, about how much are the mark offs?
    (when does the ipod and printer promotion come again?)
    also, if i do buy from an apple store but without the apple care
    how long is the warranty? and what will it typically cover?

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

You'll always be able to take it in. But if it's outside of its one year warranty, then you'll be charged.

They have a black friday discount, but only on select items.
    The printer deal is always active. It's a mail in rebate. You don't qualify for the iPod, which is only available in the summer anyway.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/proplan.html