Where are 3rd Party Sellers getting their IPod Classics

Discussion in 'iPod' started by meohmyoh, Jan 19, 2017.

1. meohmyoh macrumors newbie

meohmyoh

Hello,

Where are these 3rd party sellers getting their inventory? Is Apple still producing these - and if so why can't I order from Apple.

I have recently bought a 'new' IPod Classic 160Gb - 7th generation for my son. He has an extensive music collection. We have had to return the purchase twice now. Once for a faulty wheel and another for a problem with the headphone jack.

Before, I attempt another purchase - is it worth it to buy it 'new'? I am concerned about the warranty. What if I should buy another classic - and then something happens outside of the buyer's limited warranty?

Geez, I just wish that they did not stop making the classic.

Thanks all

2. rybitronn macrumors newbie

rybitronn

3. babens macrumors member

They are selling off stock that they've had sitting in their warehouses since Apple discontinued the Classic. So you are buying something that has been sitting in its box on a shelf somewhere for at least a couple of years now, if not longer.

4. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

From what I remember, the Classic was discontinued as the miniature hard drive wasn't being produced anymore. So even if it's "new", the battery is ancient and there is no warranty. Unless you are handy with repairs it's not really worth it.

The iPod Touch goes up to 128 GB and the iPhone and iPad go up to 256 GB. Or you can get an Android phone with SD card support and have as much as you want (up to 2 TB).

5. pika2000 macrumors 68030

At this point, if you want an iPod with large capacity, it's better to just get a cheap Android phone and put an SD card in it.

6. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

The silly thing with the classic is Apple discontinued it due to difficulty sourcing parts. Anyone on here who has taken the ipods apart will know it's not overly hard to convert them to flash storage. I personally have an iPod Mini that I modded with a 1300mah battery and a class 10 128gb SD card and it works perfectly through iTunes.

Surely it wouldn't have cost that much for Apple to redesign the classic model with flash storage at various capacities for people who just want a dedicated music player. Although they would probably have wanted to add wifi to push Apple Music.

7. meohmyoh thread starter macrumors newbie

meohmyoh

I am buying 'new' from an Amazon Seller
    --- Post Merged, Feb 1, 2017 ---
    A third party seller on Amazon
    The seller said he would give me a 6 month warranty. He says that he is getting them from Apple?
    I wish that I could do something like that. This is for my son - and he definitely wants an Apple product to store his music collection. I tried the idea of getting some sort of andriod product - but no. The third party vendor says that they will give me a 6 month warranty on the item I bought. This time there is something wrong with the headphone jack.
    Hate to ask stupid questions - but here it goes...

Will the andriod sync up to I-Tunes?

8. pika2000 macrumors 68030

There are many tools out there that will sync iTunes library with anything. I personally use iSyncr: http://www.jrtstudio.com/iSyncr-iTunes-for-Android
    The problem lies with Google. Google tweaked every version of Android in how the OS deals with an SD card, so read up a bit on the tools you want to use on how it behaves on the version of Android you have.