Where are all the new cases for iPad Pro?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by AlexiTQ, Dec 3, 2018.

1. AlexiTQ macrumors member

AlexiTQ

So the new iPad Pro was announced at the end of October. Now in December there are like a handful of cases available. Apples insanely overpriced folio, and a couple of others sold through Apple, plus a few cheap and bad knock offs. That’s it.

I find this really weird, and incredibly annoying as I can’t find a case that suits my needs.

Usually case makers have a new lineup ready when the nex Apple device hits the stores, but not this time. So, what’s going on?

I’m actually thinking of returning the new iPad Pro if I can’t find a good case soon. I’m still using the old one because an iPad without a case is pretty useless for me.

2. clarencek macrumors regular

Agree. It seems the only options are apple, OtterBox and UAG, and then a bunch of cheap options on amazon.

3. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

New dimensions and new smart connector location and pencil charger have made case makers pretty much start from scratch, which was unknown to them. So it will take some time.

4. lakerchick4life macrumors 6502a

Im waiting for the amazon zugu case to come out.they say end of December but only in black, so waiting for additional colors like purple :)

5. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

6. modernmoments macrumors regular

I just picked up the Moko case folio (similar to Apple's folio). It gets delivered today. I heard it was an excellent alternative for $20 as opposed to Apple's $100. And the Zugu case is probably my favorite. Not sure if I'll need it this time with the Moko case and the Smart Keyboard, but I'm sure at some point I'll get it. They're terrific cases. Best around if you don't want a keyboard.

7. AlexiTQ, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018

AlexiTQ thread starter macrumors member

AlexiTQ

Sure, but it’s been a month since release. I asked one manufacturer, who made the case I’ve used on the previous iPads, and they’re planning release in mid January. That’s basically 3 months to get a case for the new IPP.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 3, 2018 ---
    Exactly, and those alternatives are pretty dismal.

Seems like this case case is available I’m three different brandings. Probably a Chinese copy some case makers put their logo on.
    I might have gone with one of those as a temporary fix if it wasn’t for the fact that the delivery from UK or US is at least 20$. Otherwise I don’t like that the “hinge” is loose, so it’s easy for the top cover to slide around, and putting it at 30 degree angle I don’t trust it to support drawing.

8. modernmoments macrumors regular

I'll report out on this. I will draw on it and see it.

9. AlexiTQ thread starter macrumors member

AlexiTQ

That’s cool, I would appreciate it.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Apple did not have case for the new XR either. Looks like some things have changed.

I picked the smart folio for my 11", hated they did not have one for the 10.5!

The smart folio is not as nice a s the leather ones but it covers the front and back for me!

11. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I like the Apple smart folio a lot. That's basically the case I've been waiting for for years.

12. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

This was true for the 10.5" iPad as well. I ranted about that a lot in the iPad accessories forum last year. You can usually find some cheap junk on Amazon. I eventually found a decent one from a company named Khomo or something like that. It's going to be difficult to make cases that work with the new Apple Pencil. At least this year Apple gave us a better option than no case at all since the folio coves the back and has very minimal side protection since it extends slightly past the edge. I'll take that over a magnetic smart cover that you can't even grab without ripping it off the iPad and offers zero back protection.

The fact of the matter is that phone cases are where the money is at so that's where these companies focus their efforts. Way more phones ship every year than tablets. Why waste time developing tools to make tablet cases when you can sell phone cases that use a third of the materials for the same price and ship 10 times as many units? I think it's the economics of it. The most popular iPads are the cheap ones and most of those people are fine with grabbing some cheap junk off the internet. I think there is an opportunity for a quality case maker to come in a specialize in iPad Pro cases only, but you're going to have to pay for it.

Same. It's a great case. Overpriced but good. Considering how much cheaper the old leather cases were, I'd have thought we could at least get leather folios and more colors for that price. I wish it had a little better side protection, but whatever. My kids are getting better about not grabbing things if I accidentally leave something on the couch. That's my main worry since my youngest is two and a half. I had an idea for matching gray "bumper stickers" that could be applied to the corners, but I'm just an ideas guy—I have no idea on implementation for market or if it would be practical from a business perspective to develop something like that.

13. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

think the apple pencil location wireless charging has maybe made it tough for case makers i reckon.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 3, 2018 ---
    Yeah love mine and least there are two options on how to stand it. Still use the normal one but the upstraight one isn't bad. Just further to reach when on the lap e,t,c

14. AlexiTQ thread starter macrumors member

AlexiTQ

I got the MoKo smart folio while waiting for something better to hit the market. It’s pretty well made for less than a third of the price of Apples smart folio. I don’t know if this is the case with other magnetically attached folios, but the weight is a real issue. With the folio on the iPad weighs more than the 2017 model with a light folio case on (one of these, https://www.krusell.se/ekero-case-3434.html).

Other than that I dislike the tri-fold design as the footprint in typing mode is too large, and the base is too small in viewing mode, plus you have to awkwardly rotate the device when switching between them. A two-fold design, like the one I linked, is much better in my opinion. Hopefully they will come out with new cases soon.

15. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

To the OP. All ya gotta do is check Amazon. There are a TON of cases available for the new iPad Pros. I love Apple devices, but I never buy Apple cases. I always buy 3rd party ones from Amazon, and I never had a problem.

I have the 11” iPad Pro and ordered the MSR magnetic folio case for $23 which is indistinguishable from the Apple version, as well as the FINTIE case which protects the corners and has a pencil holder on the back for when you aren’t charging or using the pencil for only $9.99.

They are both fantastic cases, and together are $50 cheaper than the one Apple folio case alone!

16. AlexiTQ thread starter macrumors member

AlexiTQ

17. Notechy macrumors member

18. gjr74 macrumors member

gjr74

I have that one too- it is a great case! I’m considering trying to shave off a bit of the material around the charging port to allow charging with Anker cords, but will have to be careful, otherwise I may just Dremel off that section around the port entirely.

19. gnomeisland macrumors 6502a

I'd love to see something with folds like the keyboard folio BUT instead of the keyboard you get infinite angles. I've got a knock-off magnetic, tri-fold case and aside from the weight have no complaints. The weight isn't even that big of a deal because the case is so easy to remove when I'm at home/office/hand holding for long periods.

20. ARH1956, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018

ARH1956 macrumors 6502

21. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I’m hoping to get the Otterbox Defender for mine, but like you say it’s not out yet.
    I’ve seen the UAG and it’s ok, but I want a built in screen protector ideally. The Griffin cases look terrible for this model, which is what I had on my last iPad.

22. Pseudo-Fed macrumors 6502

Got the linked Procase for my 11 also. Really a great case. Also got the Luvvitt which is nearly identical. Both work well for the pencil with some protection and good in both standing positions.