Where are all the sleep tracking apps?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by slenpree, May 24, 2015.

1. slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

Was hoping to be able to track my sleep on the apple watch since I now use it as an alarm clock on my bedside table (previously I used my iPhone).

Not sure if this is an apple restriction or not but it doesn't make sense if it is. The apple watch has a microphone to detect snoring and it could be limited to when the watch is on the charger only to prevent any sort of battery drain.

Am I just terrible at searching the App Store ? I see sleepio has apple watch support but no information on whether it uses the watch to GATHER the data or not.

2. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502

Apple does not allow developers access to the heart rate monitor or other sensors at this time. Once they do, I am sure many of the sleep tracking Apps on the phone will use that.

I am also looking forward to this as it was I've of the main reasons I got the Apple Watch. Hopefully Apple allows it soon.

3. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

I think we'd need to wait for an upgrade in battery life for the watch to be worn all night, on top of the all day we're getting now.

Similar feature on my Jawbone, which takes about an hour to charge and lasts two weeks between charges. But it doesn't sync data as frequently as apple watch. And doesn't offer any of the additional features.

4. Bob190 macrumors 6502

Battery life is a non issue. I wear mine to sleep every night to track my resting heart rate and never have a battery issue. I basically charge mine in the AM while showering/dressing and after my workout and that's it. Normally, I still have 30% left in the morning.

Apple needs to let users manage the battery life and stop being so heavy handed about how we can use the watch. This includes opening up all of the sensors to 3rd party apps. Even cheap $49 fitness bands have sleep tracking.

5. iMacoo7 macrumors 6502

iMacoo7

I sleep with mine on every night too.... I get up @4:50am, put my watch on the charger until 6am and wear it all day at work, get home from work @6:30pm and retire for the evening @ 9:30pm and always have 35-40% battery life remaining. When I awaken I have 20% left.... More than plenty of juice! Albeit we get an update for sleep tracking with a future update ( for those of us who choose to rest with their watches on)

6. Fiestaman macrumors regular

What would the watch be tracking if you had it on the charger? Heart rate and movement would be gone. It'd just become microphone. I have the Sense for my sleep tracking which I love, but also wear my watch all night so I have heart rate tracking through about 22.5-23 hours a day. Would love to be able to integrate the two.

7. superlawyer15 macrumors regular

superlawyer15

Sleep tracking works with data from the acceleramotor not heart rate info.

A friend of mine has the Microsoft band, it has a tiny battery yet still manages to do sleep tracking just fine.

This is an API issue not a hardware problem.

8. Bob190, May 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 24, 2015

Bob190 macrumors 6502

Actually some of the more sophisticated trackers like the Basis Peak use both heart rate and accelerometer data to determine your sleep stage. The peak provided some amazing sleep data that was highly accurate. I truly regret selling mine when I got the AW. The AW pales in comparison to the Peak as 24-hour fitness tracker. If it wasn't such a brick on my wrist, I probably wouldn't have even considered the AW.

9. treimche macrumors member

Following this thread in hopes of sleep tracking being added asap. I already did the feature request on Apple's support site.

10. ChinaRye macrumors 6502

ChinaRye

Sleep tracking is one of the seriously lacking features of this watch. Battery life is better than expected, so it will be a non-issue for many. Cheapo fitness bands track sleep, so a $600 smartwatch should do at least as much.