Where are all these files? (I already used a disk sweeper)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Porkplan, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Porkplan macrumors newbie

In about this mac> storage, it says that I only have 90 GB of space from my 500 GB hard drive.
    the movies occupies 68 gb and photos occupy 121 gb etc.

I don't get it. I already used Omni Disk sweeper and I cannot find these bulk of files. I understand that they may be separated.
    I tried going to all my files, selected all the photos and used get info, they only contain around 4GB while all my movies were only 11GB compared to the 68 GB and 121 GB that my Mac is saying.
    Why is this?

I also checked the other users on my mac and all they have is around 1GB only.

According to Omni Sweeper I only occupied less than 200 GB in my 500 GB hard drive. But my Mac says I only have 90 GB left when it should have around 200-300 more space.

Basically this is all that there is in Omni Disk.
    [​IMG]
    But according to my Mac I have spent much more than that. So where are all those files? Any thoughts? I appreciate your help :)

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think you have a combination of things going on here.

First that About this Mac storage graphic gets it data from the Spotlight index, and if that index is corrupt the readings will be wrong.

Run the command below in Terminal and wait for the reindex then check the graphic again and see if it looks closer.

Also, tell me if there is space used there for Backup?

If you have Time Machine turned on, there is some hidden space used for local snapshots. That is shown in that Backup section and is not included when you look at Finder space totals.

3. Porkplan thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi thanks for your answer. Which command are you referring to though?:)

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try re-indexing your drive: If that fails to index, enter the following command in Terminal:
    sudo mdutil -i on "/Volumes/your drive name"​

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the storage tab is about, this may help explain: For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply: Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question: Freeing up drive space in Mac OS X

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Whoops... sorry. :eek:

Just run this in Terminal.

Code:
    sudo mdutil -E /