Where are Apple products made?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by murc585, Apr 17, 2008.

1. murc585 macrumors regular

I was just curious where my MacBook and iPhone were made? I was watching the movie "The Corporation" and it got me curious as to how much I really know the company I have grown to respect and appreciate.

I know Apple has gotten greedier and greedier over the years and I'm sure they are making at least 200% profits on the products I've bought from them but is Apple one of those companies paying their workers 5 cents and hour and all that jazz? Or do they buy their parts from companies that pay their employees 5 cents and hour and then fabricate the products in more suitable environments?

I've always been curious about this, where are my products actually being made?

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Just look under your MacBook…

Assembled in…?
    China?
    ;)

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Based on my experience with BTO Macs, Apple handles the design work in-house but farms out all their manufacturing to various providers in Asia, mostly in China but a few other places too. Have you ever seen mentions of Hon Hai on these forums? That's one of Apple's China-based manufacturers.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

5. murc585 thread starter macrumors regular

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

7. lost eden macrumors 6502a

MacBooks specifically are made by Asus in China (the main plant being in Shanghai). So when you buy a MacBook, you're actually buying an Asus.