Where are Apple Watch Activity Badges Stored?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by musicpenguy, Oct 20, 2018.

1. musicpenguy macrumors 65832

Hi there,

Today I needed to replace my iPhone and am wondering if by logging into my iCloud account on the new phone if my badges will come back. It has been trying to restore from the iCloud backup for almost 4 hours now on fast WiFi. Should I give up and just start fresh? Does starting fresh and just relogging into accounts mean I loose all of my activity history?

2. mollyc macrumors 68000

3. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

They generally take a while (even a couple days) to repopulate. As long as you had iCloud Health turned on you will be fine.

IMG_5824.jpg

4. Jason Hensley macrumors 6502a

Jason Hensley

Give it a day or so. When I lost some of my badges when I upgraded to the S4 they all came back the next day.

5. musicpenguy thread starter macrumors 65832

That’s not my concern - the badges are stored somewhere on iOS. The watch isn’t where that is stored its the phone. I needed to replace my phone. I’m wondering if its tied to the backup or if its tied to my account in general and that data gets stored outside of the backup of the iPhone.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 20, 2018 ---
    Oh brilliant thanks!!! Yes I believe I did have that switched on!

6. jwlbel macrumors 6502

When I upgraded both my watch and my iPhone, I lost some of my "limited edition" badges but all my other badges show up. I think I remember reading there was a problem with the new iOS and that Apple was aware of it. So if that is the case, I am sure they will fix it with a future update.

UPDATE: I just googled it. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209112

If you're missing awards in the Activity app after updating to iOS 12
    Some awards from Activity challenges are missing from the Awards tab in the Activity app in iOS 12.

If you earned any of these limited edition awards during an Activity challenge, you will not see them after updating to iOS 12:

• Thanksgiving Day Challenge 2016
    • Mother’s Day Challenge 2017
    • Veterans Day Challenge 2017
    • Thanksgiving Day Challenge 2017
    • China National Fitness Day 2018
    Apple is aware of this issue and will address it in an upcoming software update.

7. musicpenguy thread starter macrumors 65832

I can now confirm that yes the activity data is stored in iCloud - sadly my phone didn’t beam up every single day, but thankfully I only lost data Wednesday through yesterday! Have a bit of work to do to re-earn my October badge but should be manageable!
    --- Post Merged, Oct 21, 2018 ---
    Again I was wondering where the activity data was stored if it was tied to my iPhone backup which wasn’t cooperating or tied to my iCloud account and it looks like yes it is now tied to the iCloud account. Thanks for the info about the badges though which would be a problem regardless of getting a new phone.

8. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

I'm still missing these (and only these).

Not a huge deal, but kind of odd.

9. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

They are back in 12.1 (beta) and rumors are it will be released next week.

IMG_5953.jpg

10. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Good to know. Thanks for the info!

11. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

Maybe this is the right place to ask...as I have a similar issue.

I cannot see my Awards tab in the activity app. This has been going on for two weeks. I have a Series 4 Nike Apple Watch. I can’t recall if it started not showing up after iOS 12 or after I got the watch on Oct 5th. I’ve tried a few things and still no luck. I no longer receive my streak badge notifications or 7 day stand, move or exercise badges either even though I am meeting the criteria :(

Any suggestions? Going to try encrypted backup and restore from iTunes then maybe Apple store appointment if that doesn’t work.

Attached Files:

12. iamasmith macrumors 6502

iamasmith

I'm fairly convinced this is detailed data that is stored in the Apple Watch sources that you can see in the Health app.

If some of these data sources contain quite a lot of data they can take quite a while to sync back to the phone but it also hints towards another thing. That is there's probably not a lot of chance for the data to be presented to other devices and I SO wish that they had an Activity App version that would work on the Mac and the iPad where you could see your runs etc. on nice large screen maps.

13. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Since all of this health data from the Watch is synced through the iPhone to iCloud as "Health" data. I don't see any reason why this couldn't be used on an app for the Mac or iPad.

It's a good idea, I'd submit a feature request:
    https://www.apple.com/feedback/