Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leerkeller

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore, MD
I have Software Update set to download updates automatically and then notify me when they are ready to be installed. I was wondering where these downloaded updates are stored before I install them. My harddrive is getting a bit too full and I wanted to be able to check the folder they are stored in to make sure they are deleted once installed.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'm not sure about this, but could it be

root/Library/Updates ??

(others, please jump in and correct this)

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
Should be in the ~Users/Library/Application Support folder with sub folders in there. They do delete when you install them though.

BENI

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
Well this is a bit late but if anyone else finds this useful - In Yosemite updates are stored in:
Root/Library/Updates

You can confirm this by downloading an app like "Find Any File" and searching for any downloaded update that has not been installed yet and looking up the directory of the install .pkg

Reactions: Chris77586

Chris77586

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2016
Well this is a bit late but if anyone else finds this useful - In Yosemite updates are stored in:
Root/Library/Updates

You can confirm this by downloading an app like "Find Any File" and searching for any downloaded update that has not been installed yet and looking up the directory of the install .pkg

THIS IS THE CORRECT ANSWER! Thank you!

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I don’t find any such folder on Catalina- tried through Go to folder or through Option Library. Is there a special way to access this folder.

To be clear, did you hold down the Option key when clicking on the Go Menu? I think that would show you the proper Library folder.

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
I don’t find any such folder on Catalina- tried through Go to folder or through Option Library. Is there a special way to access this folder.

Go Menu then type in "/Library/Updates"

no quotes

that no work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.