Where are DV files in iMovie 06? (newbie)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by apearlman, Mar 22, 2009.

1. apearlman macrumors regular

With my previous version of iMovie (not sure which one), I used to import an entire hour of miniDV into iMovie, and iMovie created separate files for each clip. I could locate these .DV files in the Finder and burn them onto DVDs for backup.

Now I'm using iMovie 06, and I see that iMovie just creates one huge (12.6GB) iMovie project file, which is too large for a DVD and I can't copy one clip at a time into a new project.

Is there any way to get individual DV files for each clip from iMovie 06? Do I need to export these clips individually, or are they already hiding somewhere?

Thanks!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Right click on that big file and see if it gives you the option to "See Package Contents".

That's at least how one can access the individual files in the mega-sized iPhoto library.

3. apearlman thread starter macrumors regular

Perfect!

Awesome! Beautiful! Exactly the solution I hoped would exist, thank you.

4. scanline macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if it works with iMovie, but with iPhoto, you can drag-and-drop photos into a finder window and it points right to the location of the file on disk. I'd think it would work the same but I can't test it right now.