Where are Microsoft Office 2011 "My Templates" stored?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Big Byte, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Big Byte, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

Big Byte macrumors regular

Hello, I recently bought a 13" MacBook Pro to replace my old iBook G4, which required me to also buy Microsoft Office 2011 because my MBP cannot run Microsoft Office 2004.

So, I have found out how to transfer my templates from MO 2004 on my old iBook G4 to MO 2011 on my new MBP, but my templates are not being stored in MO 2011 as they were in the folders I created in MO 2004. Does anyone know how to create folders and subfolders in MO 2011 to store templates?

And, where is the "Normal.dotm" file stored so I can access it and modify it as well?

One final question, where do I find the "Normal.dot" template for Excel to customize the toolbar so that it stays the same every time I open it up?

Thank-you.

2. dZp, Mar 6, 2012

dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

By default it should be set to:
    ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/

but you can change it via the Preferences menu item:
    Word > Preferences... > File Locations > User templates

3. Big Byte thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, bud! I did a little web search after I posted my thread and found the same solution that you gave me (and how to "unhide" the library)... but, as stated after I edited my post, new problems have arisen. Any further insight?

4. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

This article explains how you can change the default workbook template.

5. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

Not sure...
    Can't you simply ctrl+click the toolbar and select Customize Toolbars and Menus... ?

Edit: nvm... I see now, by James reply, what you probably meant.

6. Big Byte, Mar 6, 2012

Big Byte thread starter macrumors regular

Worked like a charm, thanks!

Now, the only issue is creating folders and subfolders in MO 2011 for my templates, as I did in MO 2004. Does anyone know how to do that?

EDIT:

Darn, two other issues (bringing it up to three) have arisen:

1) I've created and saved templates (i.e. with .dotx extensions), but don't see them in the My Template folder in my library under Application Support. Does anyone know where they are?

2) How can I delete the templates that come installed with MO 2011 or, at least, remove them from the "New from Template" menu when I click the icon in Word?

Thanks.

7. Cain613 macrumors newbie

Not working

Ive tried everything that has been posted in these responses but nothing is working. Anybody have any suggestions?