Where are my Gorgeous Games?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vanilla35, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

So ever since the 5S came out, with that crazy boost in GPU power, and the Metal API, I really thought the ability to finally go from typical "phone games" to something more dyanimc and interesting was here. When the 5S launched and all the GPU stats were shown, I had the impression, this is finally going to change the apps that come out from being just variations of candy crush, boom beach/clash of clans, kill shot, temple run, etc. - to being more full-bodied immersive type games. I was really excited for that, but when the new apps started coming out, I realized that games like clash of clans, and asphalt 8 had taken advantage of the 5S' power, but all they did with it was put a new coat of detail over the cars and road. Nothing has really changed.

There is now a new category of games in the App store called "gorgeous games for iOS8" but the list is 7 apps strong, and include some basic rework games like Beach buggy racing (available before iOS8) and Asphalt 8. The game Mr. Crab has lots of detail and punchy graphics, but it's still a basic phone type game.

Is it fair to say that developers will never take advantage of the GPU in the ways I'm imaging (emersive content, environments, gameplay), and will just continue to make the same types of games because that both supports "phone game" mentality (2-15 minute periods), and profit opportunities (ad. driven)?

P.S. I get that certain types of games can remain fresh with just a new coat of paint (detail, shadow effects, etc), but games like kill shot, sniper shooter, contract killer, clear vision 3; I can just think of so many better ways to implement these types of games now that graphics capabilities have surpassed a certain level. Maybe I'm just more ambitious than devs? lol

2. deaglecat macrumors 6502

just need to give it time. there is a lag between API/hardware support and actual games that use it.

3. Vanilla35 thread starter macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

I realize there would be a delay, but it's been a while now. Those who would be enthusiastic about making more complex games would have some done (1 per dev) within 12 months don't you think? Maybe it'll take 2-3 years until things start to change. I just feel like that's forever. I'm hoping that the 6S' graphics will really push devs to start doing things different, because the iPad Air 2's A8X has one crazy GPU!

4. nouveau-apple macrumors 6502a

5. ELPresidente720 macrumors 6502

I'm with you. It feels very, very anticlimactic in the App store right now.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Cut the rope, farmville, candy crush, etc. sells. Why dump the effort into making an immersive game when you can sell a billion copies of your 99 cent game. Or better yet, give the game away for free and make each of those billion people gives you twenty bucks for fake money so you can advance.

Then you have companies like Square Enix releasing ports of SNES games for fifteen bucks. It's like everyone in charge was dropped on their heads when they were babies.

7. cycledance Suspended

i think the app craze died and more devs work on the new consoles and pc games now.

8. haruhiko, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014

haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

There are still a vast number iPhone 4, 4S, iPad mini 1, iPad 2, iPad 3 users and whenever a more demanding game is released in the App Store it's flooded with 1 star review of people complaining why it cannot be run on an iPad mini 1, iPhone 4, iPod Touch etc. etc. etc. c.f. the new NBA game.

Also, since the pandemic of freemium games flooded the App Store I have never seen a great mobile game anymore.

People aren't that willing to pay now comparing with the early days of the App Store (2008-2010). Why? I guess it has something to do with Android. With Android, installing pirated games is as easy as flipping a switch and downloading an APK file. Why pay for a game if you can get the same thing for free? I don't support piracy but I'm sure a lot of people are (secretly) doing that. Therefore, in order to gain back some revenue the game developers adopted the server-side in game currency model that no one can actually hack. And that's why the "pay upfront, free forever" model is completely broken now.

9. Vanilla35, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014

Vanilla35 thread starter macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Yeah I realized that has changed the way apps have been able to be successful, which can easily make it less likely that a dev would want to put effort into an immersive game when they can just add limited energy to their app and then make them pay for more. I hope that is not the end all be all for the app store. Hopefully there is a trend back to higher quality games.

I agree with this too, as it's been the trend, but there are still the vast majority of people who pay for music. Same reason iTunes still makes money when pirating has always been a popular use for some. Most people are too lazy to pirate, I guess.

The A8 is a great chip, but it's not the chip that set itself apart, like the A7 compared to the A6, and the A8X did this past event. My point is not that any particular chip is weak, or less of an improvement; it's that I'm hoping certain dev teams take notice and say "hey, let's develop a really kickass high graphics, high physics app, that takes advantage of the new 4.7 and 5.5 inch retina display". Meanwhile I suppose we'll just have to be happy with Cut the rope and Mr. Crab. I guess they'll add more reflections when the 6S comes out :rolleyes: