Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duggram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2008
I'm trying to find a JPG on my hard drive that I would like to upload to my Photobucket site. Where is it?

I am a 20 year MS/Windows user that took the bait and bought a MBP a few months ago. I've also used Linux and struggled with Solaris. After years of brow beating I expected instant utopia from my new Mac sacred cow (nice screen and graphics but otherwise pretty worthless).

On a Windows PC you can get to your hard drive and work with your files in a few seconds. I've been here for over an hour trying to find where my jpgs are. In Preview I do a search for *.jpg and the result is zero, I have no jps? Wrong I've loaded my entire library of jpgs on this MBP.

I take pictures with my iphone and they're imported to my MBP. Where are they?

I cropped a jpg in Preview and saved it. Where is it now? Why can't I reopen it in Preview?

BTW I have "The Missing Manual" by Pogue and it does not cover this topic. I apologize for the frustration but please try to understand that I have spent over an hour trying to complete a 15 second task.

Thank you for any help offered,
Doug

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
  1. You can use Spotlight to search for the file name.
  2. You can use Finder to search for files of type: Images (see pics)
  3. You can look in your Documents or Downloads folders, which is the most likely place they went.

Attachments

• Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 141
  • Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 164
  • Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 139

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
In Preview I do a search for *.jpg and the result is zero, I have no jps? Wrong I've loaded my entire library of jpgs on this MBP.

Spotlight for this instead:

kind:pictures
or
kind:jpg

FWIW you can likewise search for a variety of other kinds of files with kind -- kind:music, etc. Otherwise, if you want to find a pattern in the filename, don't use wildcards -- i.e. search for "jpg" -- not "*.jpg". More tips on Spotlight searching:

http://www.macworld.com/article/132788/2008/04/spotlight2.html

The files you imported should be in the Pictures folder inside your home folder, very analogously to Windows. The files you saved with Preview should be wherever you saved them.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
In Preview I do a search for *.jpg and the result is zero, I have no jps? Wrong I've loaded my entire library of jpgs on this MBP.
*.jpg doesn't bring anything up on my Mac, either.
.jpg does.

I take pictures with my iphone and they're imported to my MBP. Where are they?
The default is for your iPhone pictures to go into your iPhoto library.

iPhoto hides the JPGs from view in the Finder program.

If you want to upload them to a site like PhotoBucket, when you click the UPLOAD button on the website, your browser should give you a bar that gives you access to all photos in your iPhoto library. You don't manually have to go looking around the file system for them.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    100.4 KB · Views: 112

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
On a Windows PC you can get to your hard drive and work with your files in a few seconds. I've been here for over an hour trying to find where my jpgs are. In Preview I do a search for *.jpg and the result is zero, I have no jps? Wrong I've loaded my entire library of jpgs on this MBP.

Next time pay attention to where you are saving thing to…

Whn you save a jpg in, say, Preview you will be asked where you want to save it… You then specify the directory.
Obviously you didn't do that — otherwise you'd know where you saved your files to.
That is no different from Windows. :confused:

duggram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2008
Thank you all for the prompt replies. Now that I'm a lot older and feeble your help is definitely an asset.

Thank you,
Doug

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.