Where are my old mail after OSX re-install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kay C, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Kay C macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

My OSX got crashed after a update with error. So I re-install Leopard, all the old files put in the "Previous system" folder, then upgraded to snow leopard, got it all updated.

I found that all my old mail are gone. I was using hotmail and run it in Mail. So all the old mail has been downloaded to Mail before, and I can not find it in hotmail site again.

is there any way I can get back my old mail from the Previous System folder?
    Those email is kinda important.

Appreciated you help. Thanks

Ken

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I am guessing you didn't choose the "Preserve Users and Network Settings" option?

Go to the /Previous System/Users/yourusername/Library/Mail

You should see a folder there referencing your Hotmail. You will likely find your emails there.

3. Kay C thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Kay C thread starter macrumors newbie

1 more question, how can I combine those old email to my new mail again?

Thanks again

5. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

just a guess, but would you move them to your current mail folder from the previous owner one?

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....yes, you can move the mail folders from the previous system folder into the proper place in the new mail folder however you may find the messages do not show up - if that happens just try using the "rebuild" function from the mailbox menu (you will probably need to do this for each individual folder you had created for the hotmail account)....oh yeah!