where are my passwords

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bs0604, Feb 24, 2017.

1. bs0604 macrumors newbie

I have been using using my passwords which are stored in the mac (keychain?). How do I access to review my passwords? When I enter "keychain" in the search window it gives me sites I visit but I don't see a list of my passwords. Of, course I know my administrative password. macbook pro 17 inch OS 10.10.5
    thanks

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

There's an app in Applications>Utilities called "Keychain Access" where you can review most keychain-stored passwords.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Once you have Keychain Access open, you'll see the list of websites you have passwords for. Just double-click the website you want the password from, and then it will bring that up in a new window. There should be a checkbox near the bottom for 'Show Password'. Click this, enter your system password, and it'll display the password.

I think that's what you wanted -- though please correct me if I've got it wrong! :)

4. bs0604 thread starter macrumors newbie

when I do what you have suggested I get a list of which each line looks something like the following:
    Safari Extens...hme-BS7879798798 application password Dec 27, 2017, 12:35 PM login
    The majority are from 2014
    When I double click on the line I get a small panel at the top of which has two choices: Attributes or Access Control
    When I click on the Show password box I get prompted to enter my admimistrative password. Doing so only shows something like https://search.yahho.com/search?
    I don't seem to be getting in to the right panels which would show me my bank, cable, utility company etc websites and their passwords.

5. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

The passwords you're looking for are probably categorized as "Web form password" or "internet password." Check the "Kind" column - and click on that column header to sort the list by Kind.

6. bs0604 thread starter macrumors newbie

I sorted by kind as you suggested. But only one "Web form password" line shows up. This is for my gmail account and when I open it up and put in my administrative password I see the password I used for gmail. But where are my "Web form password" lines for my bank account, professional association log in, etc? I know they work as I can automatically log in all these other sites without having to input my passowords. Unless when I log into the sites and a panel opens up saying something like "do you want to remember password" it means that the external web site, e.g. my bank, is storing my log in password, and not keychain?

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You mean passwords remembered by Safari or a different web browser. Those are stored within the particular app's preferences, such as Safari>Preferences>Passwords or Chrome>Preferences>Settings>Manage Passwords (under "Settings and forms").

8. bs0604 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think your point of my passwords being stored in Safari makes sense in my case. Then, what is the purpose of keychain? And how do I input passwords for my websites in to key chain? And if they are in keychain does this mean they will automatically populate the website log in for which I have stored the password in keychain?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

They are not stored in Safari. They are stored in Keychain and Safari is just allowing you to see those passwords that are in Keychain from the Safari interface.

When you sign up for a new web site in Safari and save the password, it automatically is saved in Keychain. You do not need to manually enter anything in Keychain itself... Safari does it for you.

Yep. :)

10. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

There are some sites that do not allow autofill or at least try to prevent it.