Where are my photos saving?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jsponz, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Jsponz macrumors newbie

I recently moved over from PC to Mac. I am using aperture to keep all my imported photos, but I edit with photoshop. I edit my photos and save them, I've tried both 'save' and 'save as' and can't seem to find my photos. On my PC they would save to the same file as the original. Can someone please help!! I am going crazy!!

Thanks!!

2. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

You might find a better response and in a forum more suited for this topic...

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

3. HBOC macrumors 68020

They are probably in your documents folder, which is located at "username"/documents.

You can change this as well, and you can even export your photos directly from Aperture into Photoshop. Just go into Aperture preferences>export. Then choose from the list. Here is a screen shot..

Attached Files:

4. HBOC macrumors 68020

Just so we are talking about the same thing, here are some screen shots of what I am talking about in Aperture..

Attached Files:

5. johnfkitchen macrumors regular

Rather than exporting images to a folder, you can make life easier for yourself by just using Aperture's ability to connect to an external editor, say Photoshop. Right click on the image and choose the top entry in the menu to send a copy of the photo to photoshop.

When you finish editing, choose "save" and the edited image appears alongside the original in your Aperture library.

Easy!!

PS you choose the file format you want sent to the external editor in the Aperture preferences

6. thisisanacc macrumors newbie

I had this consideration before.
    If I just use the photos myself, that's no problem and it is very good to use Aperture or iPhoto without reaching the annoying folders.
    However, when I have to send some photos to my friends, I have to click on Aperture and choose 'show in finder' one by one for photos not in the same project.

Is there any easier way doing so?

7. johnfkitchen macrumors regular

If it's OK to send to friends via email, you can do this directly by selecting the image(s) and clicking on the email button. Aperture builds an email with the versions (not masters) included. They will be reduced size images according to what you chose in the preferences. Of course, you may choose to mail full size versions in this way, but they may exceed the size limits of your email provider or that of your recipients.

Another way is to use Facebook, MobileMe or Flikr. Your friends can download from there. Aperture has buttons for these too, you just need to set up the connections to the accounts.

If you want to send full size versions through snail mail, you'll need to use "export", but I suspect the methods above will suit you better.

The user guide is helpful reading.

8. johnfkitchen macrumors regular

BTW, if you have been using photoshop to perform image improvements that don't involve layers, you can probably make life even easier by using Aperture's Adjustments. They are quick and easy, and non-destructive. Aperture NEVER makes changes to your original images. You can make multiple versions of a single master and apply many adjustments to each of then, even switching them on and off any time after the event.

I find I use Photoshop very, very rarely now, since Aperture is so powerful and so much easier to use, despite having used Photoshop since version 4 or earlier.

9. thisisanacc macrumors newbie

It's a shame that I did not dig into the functions of Aperture.:p

Your suggestions are helpful really. I will try.

But if I suddenly have to send lots of photos to others (what a troublesome friend requiring me doing so:p), and these photos come from different projects, is the way you suggested, export, powerful enough to do so? I mean selecting all these photos and then click EXPORT just once but not select and export and then select and export from time to time.

10. johnfkitchen macrumors regular

If the photos are in different projects, then create an "album" with a suitable name and drag the images to that album. An album does not contain copies of your images, just references to them. Albums consume only a very small amount of disk space, so don't worry about creating clutter.

When you have finished dropping images into the album, you can select any or all of them from there.

If you find that an album is no longer of use to you, delete it. Deleting an album doesn't delete the images, just the references.

Again, the Aperture User Guide is really good. Open it in Preview and do searches.

Other resources are the Aperture discussion group over on Apple's website, and the fabulous training book by Dion Scoppettuolo - "Apple Pro Training Series: Aperture 3" which is available as an iBook from Apple or hardcover from Amazon. The electronic version is more useful IMHO, since you can search it. The training is hands on with downloaded files and you follow along on your Mac.

You'll find yourself saying "Wow, Aperture can do THAT!!? Incredible!!!"

Meanwhile, I suggest you get connected to the Apple Discussions for Aperture and check out the postings there, and if you can't find that your questions have already been asked and answered, the people there are deeply knowledgeable and helpful.