where are my photos stored

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by glocke12, Oct 23, 2008.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Where are my photo files stored in iphoto? I need the actual files themselves.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

~/Pictures/iPhoto\ Library

It's all inside this bundle now. You're going to need to show the package contents to get inside via Finder.

3. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

well, im having problems and need to back these up....i cant seem to be able to just drag and drop these, and I dont trust time machine...suggestions?

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Copy the entire "iPhoto Library" file to another drive. That, in essence, makes a backup of your entire library. Or from within iPhoto, you can view All Photos, select them all, and do a File | Export.

BTW, Time Machine quite rocks with iPhoto. Have you ever clicked the Time Machine icon while you're in iPhoto and seen how you can do selective restores, etc, without having to muck around at the individual file level? Mucking around at the file level is the quickest way to corrupt your library.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Apple has made it more "convenient" by just bundling all of your iPhoto settings and original images into one package. Just copying that package backs up all your photos and versions of them.

6. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

wel, i tried copying the iphoto library in question (from my macbok pro), to an external harddrive I have connected to my mac mini. I tried opening up that library from the mac mini, and all that happened was the macmini iphoto library...

Ive got to get these off my macbook pro since I am having some rather major issues that even the "genius" cant sort out. They recomended a complete harddrive reformat.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Backup and Archive & Install.

8. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

by backup do you mean via timemachine? because that is not working very well either...as long as I can get these photos off I dont care about anything else. Right now Im tryng stuffit to compress it. I will burn that to disc and than if I can reopen it with success will just reformat...

ugh..I have no idea how my MBP got in such bad shape. Basically all apps are trying to log into a server that does not exist, and never existed...

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Super Duper! and Carbon Copy Cloner are fine as well. You can migrate back your user account in the worst case that you have to Erase & Install.

10. Let's Sekuhara! macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

Good question. I was wondering the same thing myself.
    To take the question a step further:

How does iPhoto distinguish between photos which have been edited in iPhoto and the originals?

Are there three copies of each photo?
    1. the original
    2. the one that was copied to the iPhoto library
    3(?). the one that was edited in iPhoto after copying to the library

Or does iPhoto only apply the changes made in iPhoto when you drag a photo out of iPhoto?

I know iPhoto is designed to be simple to use, but from a file management standpoint I find it nebulous. Thanks.

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I suggested earlier that you take a look at the package contents of the iPhoto Library.

The image that you drag out is the modified one.

Attached Files:

12. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

well, I just looked at the iphoto library file i transfered to my external drive..everytthing is there. right click and choose "open package contents"..there is a folder for originals and a folder for modified files.

since I didnt really modify too many things i just dragged the originals to the mac mini iphoto library....

I still need to reformat my MBP, but at least I got the important stuff out..

13. Let's Sekuhara! macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

Thanks Eidorian. That screenshot does clarify things a bit.

14. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

yep screenshot helps...wasnt sure what you meant at first...

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

No problem. The mystery of the "new" iPhoto Library makes more sense once you take a look inside the package.

16. sbamom macrumors newbie

How to View Package Contents?

These postings have been very helpful to me since I'm a new Mac user. I had the same question about where the actual picture files are stored and how many copies - the original, any modified, etc...

How can I view the photo library package contents on my mac? I tried right clicking on the iPhoto Library under Pictures under my name in File Finder, but this does not work.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You Ctrl + Click/Right Click on the iPhoto Library to bring up the context menu to Show Package Contents.

18. franjohnston macrumors newbie

Where are my photos?

If I go to mpix.com to upload photos to be printed, at this time I have to go to iPhoto, FIND the darned photos, email them to myself, save them to my desktop. They are then "findable" from mpix.com. Otherwise, I can't find them. Can you help?