Where are my screen shots?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by miamialley, May 12, 2009.

1. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

For the first time, my screen shots [command + control + shift + 3] are not saving to my desktop. I don't recall changing this setting (or how to). Where are they going?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Have you checked your actual ~/Desktop folder? They might be there but maybe your desktop isn't updating...

3. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

4. bartelby macrumors Core

5. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

I have a "Picture 1" already saved. A search for "Picture 1" in spotlight finds that picture.

However, if I search for "Picture 2" 3, 4 etc nothing comes up. I've taken a few different shots (the new shots I'm trying to locate) so there should be 5 or 6 that come up, but I get nothing.

Whenever I take a shot nothing goes to the desktop or the desktop folder.

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Have you recently installed any image capture type programs?

7. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Nope. Haven't installed anything that I recall since the last time I used the screen capture feature. I'm going to restart and see if it has any effect.

8. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

9. JeffMonty macrumors member

Have you tried taking them without hitting control (just hitting cmd + shift + 3)?

The default settings to take a screenshot are cmd + shift + 3 to take an image of the entire desktop and cmd +shift + 4 to take a screenshot of just an area of the desktop.

10. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Yes I have tried both. Neither save to the desktop (or anywhere else that I can locate).

11. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

I logged on the guest account, those screen shots also do not appear on the desktop (though I'm not sure if a guest can use the function anyway). Maybe someone will test that for me.

I use this feature a lot and would like to figure out the problem...

12. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

13. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

And by the way, when I press [command, cntrl, shift, 3 OR command, cntrl, shift, 4] they each make the camera shutter sound as usual...just no file goes to the desktop.

14. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Can you get a screenshot from Grab found in Utilities?

15. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Thanks, I didn't know about Grab, and that does work, but I'd still like to fix my macro for screenshots.

16. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I created an AppleScript that lets you pick the image type (PNG is default) of the screen shot as well as where to save it. You'll find it on post 6 of this thread. Hopefully that may be of help.

17. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

I'm new to Mac and am hesitant to run any Script because I don't want to mess with the factory settings. Part of why I left MS was to stop having to tinker with every freakin setting...maybe that is unavoidable.

18. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The script only changes preferences of the application. It's not really any different than changing your home page in your browser, but I do understand your hesitation. If you're more comfortable running a "standard" application you can install Onyx, which includes the ability to change the screen shot location (among other features).

19. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

BTW, Command + Control + Shift + 3 won't save a file anywhere. It copies the resultant screenshot to the clipboard, and you can then paste it somewhere (into a document, for instance). Give that a try and see if it works.

jW

20. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Yeah, if I do [Command + Control + Shift + 3 (or 4)] and then Cntl + V into Word, it places the correct image into the doc. Orginally, the pics were saving to the desktop (the default Leopard setting if I'm not mistaken). I'm still unsure why mine aren't going to the desktop.

21. TangibleVon macrumors newbie

I may have figured it out for you

Do you have dual monitors??

I had the same problem but it had to do with having 2 monitors. I have one connected from my built in video card and the other from an external video card. I was able to save a screen shot to a file (Cmd+shift+4) from only one of the screens and not the other, even though while doing it on both monitors would give the camera shutter noise.

Makes no sense to me, but I don't really care any more since I figured out what was wrong.

Is your setup the same?

22. AndyMoore macrumors 6502

AndyMoore

Can you see them if you open up a finder window and use the built in searches at the bottom. If you cans ee them there then you can use Get Info and find where they're located.

Attached Files:

23. JustinVM macrumors newbie

Because you are using the key combos to place the shots on the clipboard. ;)

-Justin

24. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

The screen shots don't show up there either. It's annoying to have to use Grab.

25. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Read this again:

Thanks Justin for that tip, I won't use it but it's nice to know.

The short cut for saving screen shots on your Desktop is CMD+SHIFT+3 (+SPACEBAR if you want) or CMD+SHIFT+4 (+SPACEBAR if you want)